Just got Nikkor DX 17-55 f2.8

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Off to Florida tomorrow! (a big deal considering I'm from the UK and therefore it's twice as much :p) I rented out the above lens for the trip and took out for a spin last night.

Overall I'm impressed so far, aside from the fact it's not the fastest at focusing, my 18-55mm (which came with the D50 and costs around £100 is faster, and to be honest that lens is incredible for the price). I don't know if this is due to the fact it's a rental and perhaps the motor isn't at its best. For a lens with a starting price of over £1000 I was at least expecting the focus to be a bit faster.

That's odd; I've not used the 17-55 myself, but all of my other gold-ring lenses are lightning fast focusing.

That's odd; I've not used the 17-55 myself, but all of my other gold-ring lenses are lightning fast focusing.

Hmm I really think it could be because it's a rental the motor isn't as sharp as it once was.

That could be true. Is it AFS or AFD? A non AFS lens will not be as fast. Also keep in mind that the 18-55 is a smaller lighter lens with less to move around. The 17-55 is much bulkier an take more to move it. But who knows. Could be that one because it is a rental. I have rented before and never noticed this to be an issues but again who knows.

Yep going to be slowest on a D50,D80 kind of bod as less torque power than like a D90 which a tad better. And fastest AF on a D200,D300 kind of bod.

And saved myself quite a bit of cash with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at a third of the price of the Nikon. Doesn't have the build and contrast & color retention is a smidgen less but achieves 90% of the Nikon for a third of the price.

Hey guys,

The lens the op is referring to is an AFS lens. The motor is in the lens. Mine focuses just as well on d70, d80, d200 and a d3s (borrowed).

(Note: for the price, the 18-55 is very well regarded, if a bit slow.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back