Just got Nikkor DX 17-55 f2.8

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by sam_justice, Nov 30, 2010.

1. sam_justice

sam_justice New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Off to Florida tomorrow! (a big deal considering I'm from the UK and therefore it's twice as much :p) I rented out the above lens for the trip and took out for a spin last night.

Overall I'm impressed so far, aside from the fact it's not the fastest at focusing, my 18-55mm (which came with the D50 and costs around £100 is faster, and to be honest that lens is incredible for the price). I don't know if this is due to the fact it's a rental and perhaps the motor isn't at its best. For a lens with a starting price of over £1000 I was at least expecting the focus to be a bit faster.
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +6,199 / 0
    That's odd; I've not used the 17-55 myself, but all of my other gold-ring lenses are lightning fast focusing.
  3. sam_justice

sam_justice New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm I really think it could be because it's a rental the motor isn't as sharp as it once was.
  4. Sachphotography

Sachphotography New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That could be true. Is it AFS or AFD? A non AFS lens will not be as fast. Also keep in mind that the 18-55 is a smaller lighter lens with less to move around. The 17-55 is much bulkier an take more to move it. But who knows. Could be that one because it is a rental. I have rented before and never noticed this to be an issues but again who knows.
  5. orb9220

orb9220 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Yep going to be slowest on a D50,D80 kind of bod as less torque power than like a D90 which a tad better. And fastest AF on a D200,D300 kind of bod.

And saved myself quite a bit of cash with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at a third of the price of the Nikon. Doesn't have the build and contrast & color retention is a smidgen less but achieves 90% of the Nikon for a third of the price.
  6. Patrice

Patrice Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +367 / 1
    Hey guys,

The lens the op is referring to is an AFS lens. The motor is in the lens. Mine focuses just as well on d70, d80, d200 and a d3s (borrowed).

(Note: for the price, the 18-55 is very well regarded, if a bit slow.)