Justification to buy films

LOL Late nights and frustration can seem interminable.

I was actually responding to your second post with the digital suggestion. If you were going to be a generalist That would be the way to go from strictly a business POV. Even with all the financing grief.

Since you want to stick with film, part time, I would suggest that you concentrate your advertising efforts into one or two areas so that your advertising resources aren't spread so thin that they become ineffective.

As to the quality film? Bite the bullet and order some. If you are going to charge for quality work...

In the mean time, go shoot something fun! :)

I would have to say, absolutely. A while back I decided to get 'back' into film because I really did not like the results I was getting with B&W digital. I fired off some cheapy color film from walmart to test out the camera and the results made me want to throw out the camera! Then I bit the bullet and ordered a 5 pack of color and 10 pack of B&W online, sent my film to NCPS for processing and scanning, and never looked back. The quality was night and day.

Allan

If you can afford about $350 up front and have a computer to order from www.freestylephoto.biz then you can get everything you'll need to do your own film in your own home and get a modest year's worth of film to process as well. And I did it for that amount with HC110 and TMax. It would cost much less going Arista films and chems. And the box they'll ship it in is real, real big!

I wouldn't buy Arista - they're cheap for a reason (absolute ****). For color, the vast amount of your work will be with Velvia 50, and for film either with Ilford FP4, Ilford HP5, or Agfa APX 400 (but you either already know this or already have favorite films, but I wouldn't guess from the title). In any case, buy a few rolls to experiment before investing.

Battou - if you want to make a little money on the side based off of what you already have, I'd invest in a scanner (be it a flat-bed like the Epson V500 or one of the top Nikon film scanners which are $1k+) to take the film digital and then try to sell it on microstock sites.

But what's the point of this thread - do you already have a plan for making money and just want to know the best film option for making the best quality pictures, or something else (like above)?

if you want to make a little money on the side based off of what you already have, I'd invest in a scanner (be it a flat-bed like the Epson V500 or one of the top Nikon film scanners which are $1k+) to take the film digital and then try to sell it on microstock sites.

But what's the point of this thread - do you already have a plan for making money and just want to know the best film option for making the best quality pictures, or something else (like above)?

I've had a dedicated 35mm film scanner for a wile now...I could prolly invest in a new one maybe, or even send this one out to see if it needs any maintancing. It ain't perfect but it gets the job done. I spent a full quarter of my paycheck on it and I never once regretted it. A portrait of my Girl friend I took for the fun of it that I scanned with it and had printed with the commersial print station at RightAid so I could give to her was confiscated by her mother because she loved it, so apperantly the imperfections are not that drastic.

All of a sudden after making this post I am beginning to fear improving output quality, I get too many requests for photos as it is.....:confused:

Alright, here is the full out of it, My primary buying location is Rite Aid. It's within walking distance and literally on the path to work, the convienience they have is overwhelming, but.... A year or so ago they up and decided that they where going to eliminate Kodak from their inventory completely with an agreement with Fujifilm USA. When this happened the press release stated clearly that customers will enjoy a significantly wider range of state-of-the-art photo products and services through more convenient, easier-to-use technology. However reagonal management is not living up to this in any respect, Our store has recieved an entire half a pre-owned printing station, no new film selection, Nothing behind or around that counter has changed with the exception of the dissapearance of anything and everything Kodak and Poleroid. In my eyes this is a breech of contract, so I complain to management and nothing has been done....It's time for me to take my business elsewhere, but there is no else where. Now their processing lab is taking a full seven days to process where it was two before. Not only my work but my mere pressence is getting more notice here locally and I can not have paying clients waiting seven days for me to get them before I can even start post processing them. So it's blatently obvious I need to find another processing lab. If I can just get past the element of being able run in and grab film as I need it and pay with cash I can tell Rite Aid to go **** them selves completely wile I am at it.

Don't get me wrong, Rite Aid and their commersial photo counter can still be of some use to beginners so I will continue to reccomend commercial films and processing to first time film shooters as opposed to shooting the expencive stuff right off the bat because film is not for everybody. Drugstore photo counters is like an entry level camera, it is good for getting started inexpencively but eventually one must move on or tolerate comprimise and it's time for me to move on. However my limited income makes this a much harder decision to make that it would be for someone who makes minimum wager or better.

I wouldn't buy Arista - they're cheap for a reason (absolute ****).

Not 100% true. I'm not a fan of their .edu line, it does seem kind of crappy. But the main reason the Arista line is cheap is because Freestyle has deals with manufacturers to package it in their own boxes to sell more. For example, Arista Premium b/w film is actually Kodak Tri-X repackaged. (confirmed by employees) Their Legacy Pro film is made by Fuji, believed to be repackaged Neopan Acros. Aristacolor is Ferrania (italian company). I've tried a roll of that and like the tones a lot, although i've read that a lot of people aren't a fan of it.

Aristacolor 200

I wouldn't buy Arista - they're cheap for a reason (absolute ****).

I do not agree with that statement at all. Ive used Arista films, developers, stop bath, fixer, papers, even darkroom equipment like trays and what not. The only issue Ive had is that their films and papers curled slightly more than the name brand stuff. I absolutely loved the Arista II stuff that was rebadged agfa.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=arista&w=82308981%40N00

I've had a dedicated 35mm film scanner for a wile now...I could prolly invest in a new one maybe, or even send this one out to see if it needs any maintancing. It ain't perfect but it gets the job done. I spent a full quarter of my paycheck on it and I never once regretted it. A portrait of my Girl friend I took for the fun of it that I scanned with it and had printed with the commersial print station at RightAid so I could give to her was confiscated by her mother because she loved it, so apperantly the imperfections are not that drastic.

All of a sudden after making this post I am beginning to fear improving output quality, I get too many requests for photos as it is.....:confused:

Alright, here is the full out of it, My primary buying location is Rite Aid. It's within walking distance and literally on the path to work, the convienience they have is overwhelming, but.... A year or so ago they up and decided that they where going to eliminate Kodak from their inventory completely with an agreement with Fujifilm USA. When this happened the press release stated clearly that customers will enjoy a significantly wider range of state-of-the-art photo products and services through more convenient, easier-to-use technology. However reagonal management is not living up to this in any respect, Our store has recieved an entire half a pre-owned printing station, no new film selection, Nothing behind or around that counter has changed with the exception of the dissapearance of anything and everything Kodak and Poleroid. In my eyes this is a breech of contract, so I complain to management and nothing has been done....It's time for me to take my business elsewhere, but there is no else where. Now their processing lab is taking a full seven days to process where it was two before. Not only my work but my mere pressence is getting more notice here locally and I can not have paying clients waiting seven days for me to get them before I can even start post processing them. So it's blatently obvious I need to find another processing lab. If I can just get past the element of being able run in and grab film as I need it and pay with cash I can tell Rite Aid to go **** them selves completely wile I am at it.

Don't get me wrong, Rite Aid and their commersial photo counter can still be of some use to beginners so I will continue to reccomend commercial films and processing to first time film shooters as opposed to shooting the expencive stuff right off the bat because film is not for everybody. Drugstore photo counters is like an entry level camera, it is good for getting started inexpencively but eventually one must move on or tolerate comprimise and it's time for me to move on. However my limited income makes this a much harder decision to make that it would be for someone who makes minimum wager or better.

Alright then, it's really quite simple - go online, buy the premium stuff, order 1-day shipping if you have to, and start setting up a darkroom to process everything by hand. The per-roll time cost of processing goes down a lot when you develop multiple rolls in a single tank, so your only real problem is getting down the amount of time it takes to print each individual photo... but, at least you will have superior optically-printed photos. It's still faster than waiting 7 days as well, and with experience you will get faster.

Not 100% true. I'm not a fan of their .edu line, it does seem kind of crappy. But the main reason the Arista line is cheap is because Freestyle has deals with manufacturers to package it in their own boxes to sell more. For example, Arista Premium b/w film is actually Kodak Tri-X repackaged. (confirmed by employees) Their Legacy Pro film is made by Fuji, believed to be repackaged Neopan Acros. Aristacolor is Ferrania (italian company). I've tried a roll of that and like the tones a lot, although i've read that a lot of people aren't a fan of it.

Aristacolor 200

I haven't tried their color material, but I'm not talking about the .edu stuff (which is unspeakable to be honest) - Tri-X, from my hand-developing perspective, is one of the most overhyped films that I have ever tried to process - the grain, the clarity, the feel of the film itself, lack of (for lack of a better word) endurance of the film under the stress of my non-babying hands... Arista makes it worse. I've had some of their darkroom equipment fall to pieces on me as well. Maybe I've had incredibly bad luck, but I'm not touching anything Arista with a 10 foot pole.

Alright then, it's really quite simple - go online, buy the premium stuff, order 1-day shipping if you have to, and start setting up a darkroom to process everything by hand. The per-roll time cost of processing goes down a lot when you develop multiple rolls in a single tank, so your only real problem is getting down the amount of time it takes to print each individual photo... but, at least you will have superior optically-printed photos. It's still faster than waiting 7 days as well, and with experience you will get faster.

Or, keep your eyes open on Craigslist and Ebay for a smaller (Wing Lynch or Thermaphot) processor, my Wing Lynch Pro6 processes everything frm my 35mm to 8x10 C41 and b&w with a consistency that no hand line can ever match. Push/pulls are not problem as well. Total cost was $150. The Pro 6 doesn't even need running water.

I work with a local pro that has a Frontier 370, when I need prints or scans, I go to the studio, when he has a customer (or himself) that needs C41 film processed, he drops it off. Everybody's happy, the world is good, etc.

I haven't tried their color material, but I'm not talking about the .edu stuff (which is unspeakable to be honest) - Tri-X, from my hand-developing perspective, is one of the most overhyped films that I have ever tried to process - the grain, the clarity, the feel of the film itself, lack of (for lack of a better word) endurance of the film under the stress of my non-babying hands... Arista makes it worse. I've had some of their darkroom equipment fall to pieces on me as well. Maybe I've had incredibly bad luck, but I'm not touching anything Arista with a 10 foot pole.

I see.. that's cool then, it seems you have your reasons for not liking Arista.

Personally, I like Tri-X/Arista Premium and feel it completely lives up to the hype. Not sure how Arista makes it worse though since the only difference is the packaging.

I see.. that's cool then, it seems you have your reasons for not liking Arista.

Personally, I like Tri-X/Arista Premium and feel it completely lives up to the hype. Not sure how Arista makes it worse though since the only difference is the packaging.

Are you telling me that Kodak makes not just the film base, but also prints the Arista name on the film, puts the film in an Arista branded cassette, puts that in an Arista branded box, and then ships it off to Freestyle? I don't know too much about Arista's inner workings but considering the fact that film from other manufacturers is printed under the Arista name, I wouldn't think so. As soon as it leave's Kodak's hands it leaves their quality control and, as such, suffers.

Or, keep your eyes open on Craigslist and Ebay for a smaller (Wing Lynch or Thermaphot) processor, my Wing Lynch Pro6 processes everything frm my 35mm to 8x10 C41 and b&w with a consistency that no hand line can ever match. Push/pulls are not problem as well. Total cost was $150. The Pro 6 doesn't even need running water.

I work with a local pro that has a Frontier 370, when I need prints or scans, I go to the studio, when he has a customer (or himself) that needs C41 film processed, he drops it off. Everybody's happy, the world is good, etc.

A processor? Pish posh! Call me a purist but in my opinion hand printing has more soul than your consistency :gun:

...A processor? Pish posh! Call me a purist but in my opinion hand printing has more soul than your consistency :gun:

Read carefully C41 and B&W negative processing, printing is easy if your negs are processed consistently. (as well as exposed consistently, true EI derived from .1 density over Fb+F for zone 1, etc...)

Read carefully C41 and B&W negative processing, printing is easy if your negs are processed consistently. (as well as exposed consistently, true EI derived from .1 density over Fb+F for zone 1, etc...)

To which I say again,

in my opinion hand printing has more soul

There's no 1 way to print a negative. I had a negative that I took of my roommate for a portraiture project of him in his white meditation robe - if I had simply done a perfect print, it wouldn't have been a remarkable shot. However, with the contrast turned all the way up and the print exposure adjusted for balance, his robe melted into the white wall which gave him this really cool ninja look. It sounds stupid but it's not something I could get or even see happening with your "consistency".

Besides... if you're talking about something like, me taking 3 rolls in the same spot at the same time and wanting similar results, just use a tank that can take 3 rolls :p

Are you telling me that Kodak makes not just the film base, but also prints the Arista name on the film, puts the film in an Arista branded cassette, puts that in an Arista branded box, and then ships it off to Freestyle? I don't know too much about Arista's inner workings but considering the fact that film from other manufacturers is printed under the Arista name, I wouldn't think so. As soon as it leave's Kodak's hands it leaves their quality control and, as such, suffers.

Since I don't work for Kodak or Freestyle, I don't have an answer about the Arista name on the film, but I have shot a few rolls of tri-x and i've shot even more of arista premium. Comparing the two final products they're exactly the same to my eyes, both in the look, tint, and feel of the film and in the final image. (and *it seems* most people around the web that have actually used it feel the same)

Here is a comparison shot I found (not my pics) one with Tri-X, one with Arista Premium, I can't tell the difference.. (large pics)

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00Q/00QT2x-63363584.jpg
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00Q/00QT39-63365584.jpg
from this thread:
Arista Premium film: is this stuff Tri-X? - Photo.net B&W Photo - Film & Processing Forum

It's obvious you hate Arista products, so don't buy it. Everyone else seems happy with the stuff.

Are you telling me that Kodak makes not just the film base, but also prints the Arista name on the film, puts the film in an Arista branded cassette, puts that in an Arista branded box, and then ships it off to Freestyle?

Happens all the time, across all industries. Most of what you pay for with 'Name' brands is the advertising. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back