Kings of the favela

Neat image. Always interesting to see how others live. It looks very dry there. How do they get their water?

My only suggestion would be to see if you can bring out a bit more detail in the sky as it looks like there are some nice clouds there.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the suggestion :)
This camera is not the best on dynamic range so it's a little harder to recuperate highlights and shadows.

34621420583_5fa54d0965_b.jpg

Something like this?

It's very very dry and hot. Last time it rainned was about 9 or 10 monts ago.
They need to go search the water at special water reservatoires. There they can buy 25L (or 6.6 gallons) for 11 cents (for them 11 cents is much more money than for us).
Most of them walk several miles with one or even two of those 25L bottles, because they don't have any mean of transportation, neither the money to go on the bus.

Despite that, they are very happy, always smiling and dancing.
One of those favela shed had a sign at the door saying "no stress" :)

They really live by that saying.
It was a great experience.

Cheers

Like the second one much better. Thanks for the explanation of their way of life.

WesternGuy

Wow, Cape Verde. What prompted you to travel to Cape Verde? I like the photo. How long were you there? Favela = slum ... is it all very poor?

Nice shot! That bit of highlight recovery just sets it of nicely. Framing is pretty spot on too keeping the edges of the most prominent buildings, it was a clever move to keep the dogs in really helps the eye stay in the frame. You do have a little distorsion on the buildings at the sides of the frame where the verticals aren't quite straight, I'd consider correcting that, if you have photoshop the adaptive wide angle filter is a gerat tool to use for that.

Wow, Cape Verde. What prompted you to travel to Cape Verde? I like the photo. How long were you there? Favela = slum ... is it all very poor?
It's a great beach destination.
Me and my wife love the beach, so every year we go to a place with great beaches...

Cape Verde is very poor, yes, but very beautiful on it's own way.
The shore is magnificent, the cities not so much.

The people there are great - never I was frightened nor I felt that they were going to rob me or something.
They speak portuguese, and I am Portuguese - that was good :)
They were all very friendly.

See the life at the "other side".

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back