Kodak HD film

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone tried the Kodak HD 400 (High Definition) film? Any comments on it? I tried the search, but "Kodak" and "HD" obviously gets me only a ton of returns on "Kodak" :lol:

Brian

I have tried it and would rate it as the single *worst* film I have ever used. Period. Lousy colours, somewhat grainy, just plain looks crappy, there's a reason they sell it real cheap. Use Gold 400 it is much better or better yet 100.

Dave

I’ve only used it one. It worked OK to me, but most people around hear seem not to like it.

I've heard that Kodak HD is just repackaged Kodak Gold.

YIKES! Thanks for saving me $10 folks!

Well, then can anyone suggest a decent 400 ISO film for "general" use? Im trying out some Fuji 100 ISO for landscapes, but want a 400 ISO film for "everything else".

Brian

Kodak Ultra Color 400 should be nice, never used it but like the 100 UC. Fuji Pro 400H ought to also be nice, but if those are too expensive for you where you are then plain old Kodak Gold 400 ought to give you good results.

Dave

Kodak Portra VC (160 or 400) is my color print film of choice.

Hello Brian

I suspect that many people using this film for the first time end up with the sort of results that Dave reports in his posting, namely, "lousy colours, somewhat grainy, just plain looks crappy" and, as a result, never use it again

Before you disregard this film out of hand - a couple of things worth noting:

* if shooting film with the intention of scanning to a digital file then this film is well a try

* although an ISO 400 film, it performs best when rated at ISO 200 - which may well be too slow for your intended purpose

In addition to the alternatives suggested by Max and Dave, have you considered using an ISO 800 film?

That extra stop of speed is a real bonus and your results need not be grainy

Fuji's PRO-800Z produces a pleasing, grain free print and, for those situations where you want to enhance the colour saturation, rate it at ISO 400

Have fun!

:)

e_

I second UC400, I generally use that as my all around film. Plus Wal-mart usually has 3 packs cheap.

the fugi film High def is awesome, it is abosultly the best looking prints i have seen from a wolf camera/drug start print, Fugi 400 high def is my favorite by far as of right now

Most reactions

New Topics

Back