Kylee | Trendy | Back-lit | Facebook | Style

You're gonna get so many likes.

I like it, great framing and great image of a happy child with a great exposure in a tough lighting situation ... exploiting the tough lighting to bring additional drama to the image ... well done. (On my monitor, the flesh tone on Kylee looks a bit yellow ... the hands look good but Kylee seems just a smidgeon off.)

On my monitor, the flesh tone on Kylee looks a bit yellow ... the hands look good but Kylee seems just a smidgeon off.

All I did was brighten her exposure a bit, i didn't touch the colors. Was using a gold reflector on her, so might have a little to do with it.

here's another:

DSC_5523-4
by The Braineack, on Flickr

I'd pull up the shadows. Her shin tone is way off. Love the last shot. Adorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to pull past +100 :p

I made a slight change to the color on her face in the first post, any better?

also, here's the SOOC image if you were curious:

DSC_5503-1.jpg

simple light room edits, I only took it into PS to bring out the catchlights better. My wife missed on the reflector, but it's still visable in her eyes.

Re: your OP - still looks a little yellowy to me.

I love backlighting and I know it's trendy right now. You've got a lot of empty sky in most of these that is really drawing my eyes. Maybe it doesn't bother others but it's distracting to me. When I do backlighting I try to do it just like you did in your "Cousins" shot - which is my favorite of this bunch for sure. You know the sun is setting, the lighting is there, but the bald white sky isn't. Great moment & candid emotions captured there.

They had to leave just as the clouds/sunset was starting to show--a little sad.

white skies dont bother me much. I tried to use the vanishing point of the trees to lead your eye to the subject.

here's another you may like:

Ava dancing with Mom by The Braineack, on Flickr

To me. It is too underexposed. I would have metered for the skin. The sky is blown anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a touch under, but it's realistic that way to me; I'm happy with it but I should probably got back in and dodge/burn on her face a touch.

The sky is a shame, had we gone out Sunday instead the sky would actually have detail in it. It was a pure white sky all day long until after they were done for the day.

Then I was trying to get them to meet at 3:30-4 and shoot past sunset, the latest they could push it was meeting up at 2:30. So I had shot under the treeline for my posed stuff and we went out to the clearing for the more candid type stuff after the sun was starting to get low.

I had exposed the shot so it would be correct when the reflector was on her face, but my wife missed with it on account of it being very windy.

I still liked the shot a lot and I think it recovered well. but thanks for you imput, I know you're queen of this type of work :p

Last edited:
The sky doesn't bother me at all & I agree you did a good job with the edit. I was just trying to say I generally start with a far brighter image :p I think its adorable and I know mom and dad love it. My favorite is also the cousins shot...any chance you processed it in b/w...it has that timeless feel to it.

And lol about the queen comment :p Backlighting is my go-to but I am far from the queen HA!

Most reactions

Back