Lack of Detail in Sunsets - Please Help

I find it easier to work with "Focal length in 35mm equivalent". E.g. to use the rule of thumb for shutter speed: 1/focal length. Or to compare different body/lens combos' image qualities.

In low light always use a tripod and, preferably, a remote release; and don't rely on what your camera tells you to be correct exposure. If in doubt, bracket.

In low light always use a tripod and, preferably, a remote release; and don't rely on what your camera tells you to be correct exposure. If in doubt, bracket.

Why wouldn't I rely on the camera's meter to set the exposure correctly? It works magnificently in sunset scenarios! The ONLY exception to this is when I am using manual off camera flash. In that case I use an extenal meter, the histogram or chimp for a few pics.

Tripod is always nice, but not always needed. Most sunset shots are in the 125th and up range unless you are really near the end of where the sun sets. Even the shot I took above (minutes away from going full night), was set to F/5.6 and at 1/640th of a second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back