Lake Louise

streba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.streba.sk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know, that this is very popular shot, so I would like to see your feedback...

_dsc2362_s.jpg

Full res foto can be found here:
http://www.streba.sk/?nature&rocky-mountains

Thank you.

It is indeed the "iconic" Lake Louise shot and I've made the shot as well but that was a long, long time ago and if I did through my slides, I am pretty sure I did it as a Kodachrome.

I only have two issues with this image: The first is there is a definitive 'blue-greenish color cast which I removed and second I found the lightest part of the sky to be too light so I knocked it down a bit. I did tweak the blue and green channels in HSB modes to accentuate some of the more subtle color shifts but more likely because of my monitor to perhaps yours.

It is only an opinion and not to be taken as it being better than the eye of the original beholder. We all see things in a different light, especially when editing.

I deliberately knocked down the size of the image to 2000 on the longest side as many people on here use laptops and I am pretty sure this was difficult to view on that sized screen.

streba.jpg

It is indeed the "iconic" Lake Louise shot and I've made the shot as well but that was a long, long time ago and if I did through my slides, I am pretty sure I did it as a Kodachrome.

I only have two issues with this image: The first is there is a definitive 'blue-greenish color cast which I removed and second I found the lightest part of the sky to be too light so I knocked it down a bit. I did tweak the blue and green channels in HSB modes to accentuate some of the more subtle color shifts but more likely because of my monitor to perhaps yours.

It is only an opinion and not to be taken as it being better than the eye of the original beholder. We all see things in a different light, especially when editing.

I deliberately knocked down the size of the image to 2000 on the longest side as many people on here use laptops and I am pretty sure this was difficult to view on that sized screen.

View attachment 131217

Having been up there a lot many years ago I can attest that that blue-green caste in the water in the OP is accurate. All the waters from up in that region of the Rockiesare that color. Its from the coloration of the limestone found in that section of the Rockies.

View attachment 131217

I think you did a quite admirable job imo

The blue green color cast wasn't the issue in the water. I too have observed that same colorization, but I found it distracting where it permeated the other parts of the scene. It wasn't a massive color shift, but enough to throw off the color balance in the surrounding hillsides and to a degree on the glacier and a bit in the sky.

The blue green color cast wasn't the issue in the water. I too have observed that same colorization, but I found it distracting where it permeated the other parts of the scene. It wasn't a massive color shift, but enough to throw off the color balance in the surrounding hillsides and to a degree on the glacier and a bit in the sky.

ahhh, I can see that. although with the adj the purple and magenta seem to have been disturbed.

to the OP. I would note that there is quite a lo of chromatic aberration along the intersection of mountains and sky.

Thanks. Yes water change the color during the year. And sorry for so big file, I thought, that it will be resized automatically.

ahhh, I can see that. although with the adj the purple and magenta seem to have been disturbed.

I dumped a bit of magenta out because it made the glacier mountain a bit too purple. This is probably more a difference in our screen calibrations than in his image. Mine is calibrated to my print shop and I tend to saturate some colors more than others for print purposes - though the average eye generally won't see that adjustment. Good eye on your part :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back