large format

apr49

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a total dummy, here. I am interseted BIG TIME in large format photography. I've found an old monorail camera, the ground glass measures 5x7; so does this mean it takes 5x7 film? If so, is there a way of using it for 4x5 film?
Thank you for your time,
Art

What's the camera? I don't think they sell 5x7 sheet film. At least I've never seen that format available. I'm sure ksmattfish will be jumping on this thread to write a great response :D

Matt's response to this thread goes without saying LOL I am sure you will get a long professional well drawn out response. The kind of responses that we all like to are questions. Now that the pressure is on for him LOL

In my unexpert opinion it's prolly a 4x5 camera.

Nope...it is indead a 5x7, and yup they do make film for it =)

I don't know if anyone makes a film holder that with do 4x5 in 5x7. I bet someone does. If not I don't think it would be that hard to do yourself.

I haven't ever worked with 5x7, only used 4x5. I did see one one time lol

Well, here I am...

If the ground glass measures 5x7, then it is a 5x7 camera. If you want to shoot 4x5 with it you'll need a reducing back. Find out what kind of camera it is, and I might be able to help you more. Since it's a monorail I'm guessing it's fairly modern (latter half of the 20th century). You should be able to find a reducing back.

Or as Josh said, have one made; it would be easy to find a junker 4x5 with a graflok back, and have someone handy with tools mount it on a board that will fit onto a 5x7. With a graflok back you'd be able to use many modern accessories.

Do you have access to a 4x5 enlarger? If not you may want to try 5x7 contact prints to start with. They are beautiful. I can't wait to get a 5x7, although I'll probably go with a field camera design.

Anyway, I watched my 1.75 year old daughter all day, and I'm beat. I hope this post wasn't too much of a let down to those expecting more. Always glad to answer more questions. Always happy to see folks interested in LF.

Alright, I've relaxed, had a beer, and KU is whoopin' up on Missouri. So now I have the energy to ramble on and on about LF.

Is it a big, heavy, metal camera? Then it's probably one of the many variations (by many manufacturers) of a 5x7 Graphic View. you can get info on these from www.graflex.org click on "other cameras" or something like that (the site is mostly about 4x5 Speed Graphic press cameras).

Does it have a lens with it? I can't remember exactly what the "normal" focal length for 5x7 is, but it's got to be about 210mm. 150mm is normal for 4x5. When buying lenses try to get ones that cover 5x7, and you'll be able to use them with either film size. There are a lot of cheaper, but still pretty nice, press lenses available that will cover 4x5, but not 5x7. I use a Schneider 150/265mm convertable lens; remove one element and it goes from 150mm to 265mm. It's a little soft compared to many large format lenses; it's still an awesome lens. I don't know if it would cover 5x7, but it would be sort of a good 2 in 1 lens if it did. Normal and a little tele for 4x5, and wide and just over normal for 5x7.

Besides film and a lens in a shutter on a lens board you will need(*means it's a must):
*tripod
*cable release
*film holders (hold two sheets each, some 4x5 holders hold 5 or 6)
meter (you can use a camera with a meter)
*darkcloth (lots of DIY possibilities here)
notebook (take notes!!!)
film changing bag (for changing film in the field if you don't have enough holders, or no darkroom to load film)
*light tight box (to put exposed film in; old film box works best, but you could use the bag out of a box of photo paper)
backpack(if you're going to haul this anywhere)
filters?
lens hood (always)
polaroid back (if you are using E6 or paying for processing)
polaroid sheet film

Don't you need to develop polaroid film of that size? I didn't think that they made self diveloping polaroid film that big. Could be rong on that.

That's the whole point of a poloroid. to get an instant print. That way you can check your exposure. Not the cheapest practice.

4x5 polaroid develops using the film holder.

8x10 requires a seperate device to develop.

They don't make 5x7 pola.

ahh that's it,

I just always thought "anything over 4x5 needs a diveloper."

So if you are using 5x7 are you just SOL for polaroid?

Well, you would use the reducing back, which wouldn't show the entire 5x7, but more than enough to determine if you had correct exposure.

This is a new question, but I thought I might as well just stick it in this thread...

How do you develop sheet film? Meaning, which technique/method do you use.

I've only been tray developing. Shuffling 4 sheets in trays filled with the chems. This works pretty good for me, but I still scratch the film sometimes.

I have a "Yankee" tank which I tried once. It made a big mess a seemed kind of rough on the film. I've never actually seen instructions; I just assumed that the technique was to pour in the chems, pour out the chems, repeat.

I have dip-n-dunk gear too, but I was told when I started out that the tray method was better for even development. I use the hangers when I wash the film.

I know that folks using pyro use sealed tubes, that they roll with the film and chems inside. I've been thinking of using open ended tubes (home made from PVC) which would hold the film, and then they could be rolled in the trays of chems.

What do you do? What have you heard?

Hay now, thats one fine idea. I've used trays and tank (just like you) and tend to stick to the try method unless I have a lot of film to do. I wonder how easy it would be to scrach with the pvc in the dark?

Most reactions

Back