Lawrence, KS at night with Speed Graphic

jadin said:
My only complaint is in the bar photo, the rear-end is focus stealing. Unless the butt was the subject ;)

That's an illusion of the small resolution file. In an actual print from the 4x5 neg there is no doubt that the other bartenders are out of focus, and the close bartender is in ultra sharp focus by comparison.

I love my new film scanner, but it's sort of bittersweet. When I reduce a 4x5 neg down to a 72 dpi/500 pixel across file it loses so much. A lot of my wetlands pics are large areas of grasses and plants. In even a print as small as 8x10 you can see bugs and texture on the tiniest leaves, but once it get scanned and reduced so much in size, it sort of becomes a chaotic, jumbled pattern. My favorite pics are unpostable.

I've started putting up "details" from the original scan (which is still quite low res compared to the neg) along with the full image on my website, to help try and show the fine details. At the same time, it seems sort of useless to put up a pic that loses most of it's excitement with some sort of disclaimer: "here's a taste, but you'll never know how it really looks unless you see it in person."

I need the digital revolution to speed up, so I can post 100 mb files, and everyone would be looking at them on 8400x10000 screens.

tkme4ard said:
love them. But no Gazebo in the park? Got any pics of Johnny's?

I'll be scanning an putting up more pics of South Park on my website soon. Lot's of gazeebo pics, as my daughter loves to play there. No pics of Johnny's; I haven't been across the bridge for burgers in years.

awww c'mon! Johnny's is an icon! There is a painting in a art shop at 15th and Kasold with a largeish picture of Johnny's looking toward the bridge. Loved it.

Brilliant! Personally the diffuse highlights and the compositions are right on the money (between you and me I am fascinated by street signs). The prints must be fascinating. Of course you know Schneider makes beautiful glass.

Great shots KS. I love the lighting in your first picture. It has a wonderfully surreal mood to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back