Lens AF Problem?

blu_billiken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Canon 75-300mm zoom lens has been having auto focus issues. Sometimes it just wont respond until you try to turn the focus ring and it wakes up while at other times it works fine. Has anyone encountered anything like this and any tips to get it fixed?

Have you tried it on another body or tried another lens on this body? Perhaps try cleaning the camera and lens contacts.

If that doesn't work, contact Canon service if it's still under warranty, if it's not you can use Canon service or an independent repair shop.

My stock 18-55mm and my macro 100mm both work fine with my camera but i will check the lens contacts. Thanks

I'm having the same problem with my 75-300mm USM IS lens. Initially it would just not respond until I removed it and reinstalled a couple of times. Now when it has the problem, I can hear it trying to focus, but it can't. Then it'll sound like the gears grind a little and it's ok after that. Kind of like on a car......"if you can't find 'em, grind 'em".....only I know this can't be good.

It's not still under warranty unfortunately. Sounds like the advice is to find a repair shop.......that it might actually be fixable? I have no idea how easily an AF problem can or can't be fixed....I wouldn't have even though that would be something that could be repaired.....but sometimes they can?

I'm having the same problem with my 75-300mm USM IS lens. Initially it would just not respond until I removed it and reinstalled a couple of times. Now when it has the problem, I can hear it trying to focus, but it can't. Then it'll sound like the gears grind a little and it's ok after that. Kind of like on a car......"if you can't find 'em, grind 'em".....only I know this can't be good.

It's not still under warranty unfortunately. Sounds like the advice is to find a repair shop.......that it might actually be fixable? I have no idea how easily an AF problem can or can't be fixed....I wouldn't have even though that would be something that could be repaired.....but sometimes they can?
There is a small electric motor in the lens (USM) and a gear set. It sounds like one of the gears in yours is worn. Either the gear on the motor, or the bigger gear set that moves the focus mechanism.

The question usually boils down to if the cost of the repair is to close to the value of the lens.

Most reactions

Back