Lens broken. Please help!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got to college, working on a photography degree =), and the other day I decided to finally go out and take some photos. While I was out I was looking at my lens and noticed that it was slightly bent. (looking down at my camera thats hanging around my neck it it bent slightly forward). The auto focus works fine but the manual focus is very hard to turn. I shoot film and I have not developed any photos yet so I am not sure if the is 100% okay or not. I have no idea how it was damaged I did not bump it on anything, possibly something could have happened to it in my bag when I was moving into my room but its a big padded bag.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if this is a major problem or just a little one.

oh and the lens is a Canon 28-105mm.

I will try to post some pictures of the lens as well.

Regardless of how it looks to the eye, the only way to tell for certain would be to develop your film. If it is damaged you can either a) have it repaired, or b) replace it. If you do have to replace it, these are fairly inexpensive at places like KEH.

- Randy

Hmmm, I know with certain Nikon 'D' series lenses, if you have the body set to autofocus and try to manually focus it will be very difficult because of the screw-motor focusing being engaged. Could this be something similar?

Yes, it is more difficult when in autofocus but the lens is bent and when I put it on manual focus it wont move. In the little view finder window you can see that the little ring with the distances is bumped up.

Assuming that you or your parents have house insurance, I would put in a claim for the damage as due to moving and have the insurance company pay for repair or a new lens.

skieur

I had a similar thing happen with my first ever SLR about 20 years ago, an old Cosina film camera. The mirror inside was slightly broken. I had to put a note on the camera to remind myself to "aim low". I just found that camera in a box the other day and had a good laugh to myself.

Assuming that you or your parents have house insurance, I would put in a claim for the damage as due to moving and have the insurance company pay for repair or a new lens.

skieur

They do. I did not think of that! I will look into it. thank you

Most reactions

Back