Lens Care and Questions

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've got two questions that hopefully SOMEONE will answer.

1. how bad is it for the camera and lens to be outside in cold weather? how about when i bring it back inside to warmer temperatures?

i took my camera out today and it's been getting cold... when i came back in some condensation formed on the glass so i ran back outside and it quickly dispersed. i left my camera on the doorstep with the door open so it could adapt to the change in temperature better and then brought it in. would this cause molding?

2. (not so much a lens care question) my new sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM with the nikon mount keeps hunting. i've missed a few shots 'cause of this... even my 18-55 AF-S kit lens avoids hunting... and focuses a lot faster. is something wrong with my lens or does this lens just hunt more? what causes a lens to hunt?

1. I shoot pictures all year long and have never had an issue because of cold weather. Cameras have temperature ratings, you might want to check to see what your is rated at.

Your lens was cold and the warm moist air in your home was attracted to it, not a big deal since it will clear up in 5-15 minutes. I had the same thing happen last night and could not figure out why my Christmas tree photos looked all blurry.

i've got two questions that hopefully SOMEONE will answer.

1. how bad is it for the camera and lens to be outside in cold weather? how about when i bring it back inside to warmer temperatures?

i took my camera out today and it's been getting cold... when i came back in some condensation formed on the glass so i ran back outside and it quickly dispersed. i left my camera on the doorstep with the door open so it could adapt to the change in temperature better and then brought it in. would this cause molding?

2. (not so much a lens care question) my new sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM with the nikon mount keeps hunting. i've missed a few shots 'cause of this... even my 18-55 AF-S kit lens avoids hunting... and focuses a lot faster. is something wrong with my lens or does this lens just hunt more? what causes a lens to hunt?

1. Not a big deal and works the other way in the summer, cool inside, go outside and lenses fog up. Leave the lens on and in 15 minutes or so you're good to go. I shoot in the winter at windchill temps as low as -20 below zero. Battery life tanks and lubricants get a little thick and can slow some things down, like AF. Batteries come right back when they are warmed up in an armpit. Ewwww!

2. You don't mention what light levels you have nor what camera body you use. Not all Nikon's have the same AF module. When you buy a 3rd party lens you are buying reverse engineered gear. Nikon doesn't give Sigma technical info about their lenses, Sigma has to figure that out for themselves. If you have a newer model Nikon, the Sigma lens may need to be "re-chipped" to function properly on your body. I have read that Sigma was having some QC problems for a while there. The lens rental places basically quit buying lenses from them, but Sigma stepped up and got their QC problems addressed. IIRC, they still have a back-log on service repairs but that is improving also.

Buying, and using, 3rd party gear has some trade-offs, in performance and the effect mounting that 3rd party gear on your camera has on Nikon's warranty.

Don't buy a Sigma lens for a Nikon camera. only buy Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras to avoid problems.

thanks guys :p

sorry for not providing the info for the second question, it's just that i've been shooting from low light settings (dim lit rooms), sunset shots, outdoors, normal indoors. it seems to do best when theres plenty of light and when the subject stays still. hopefully its not a lens defect.

I run 2 Sigma lenses, both of them are incredible and function flawlessly.

As far as weather goes, I also shoot year round every day - follow most of the advice above and enjoy!

Don't buy a Sigma lens for a Nikon camera. only buy Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras to avoid problems.

I have 3 Sigma lenses and 2 Sigma teleconverters which work great. I also have a Tamron Lens. I also have 2 Canon Lenses. There are good reasons to buy 3rd party lenses (e.g. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.). They frequently cost considerably less than the OEM equivalent. You can sometimes get lenses from a 3rd party which are not offered by the OEM. You have to do your homework. Some 3rd party lenses are awful, some are outstanding. The information on reverse-engineering is correct. You should try older 3rd party lenses on your newer camera to make sure it works before you buy it.

I have 3 Sigma lenses and 2 Sigma teleconverters which work great. I also have a Tamron Lens. I also have 2 Canon Lenses. There are good reasons to buy 3rd party lenses (e.g. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.). They frequently cost considerably less than the OEM equivalent. You can sometimes get lenses from a 3rd party which are not offered by the OEM. You have to do your homework. Some 3rd party lenses are awful, some are outstanding. The information on reverse-engineering is correct. You should try older 3rd party lenses on your newer camera to make sure it works before you buy it.

definately, learned my lesson there. great lens none the less though, fits my needs and expectations for the price range, it's just the focus problem. iunno, i bought this lens at some asian camera store where they didn't let me try it out before buying it... which is kinda dumb. should've went to another store.

anyone here have experience with the sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 hsm for nikon? preferably with the d60. i just wanna know if it's because of a faulty lens, or if this model just doesnt focus well with the camera.

As someone suggested here in the past, put the camera gears in a large zip lock bag before entering the different environment. And let gears warm up inside the bag first.

As someone suggested here in the past, put the camera gears in a large zip lock bag before entering the different environment. And let gears warm up inside the bag first.

never thought of that one. haha, thanks.

so i went to the store today and asked them to try another sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5, it had the same focusing issues. i was offered to switch for a tamron 28-75mm f2.8... does anyone have experience with this lens? it has a minimum focus distance of 30cm (10cm more than the sigma), constant aperture, the pictures i see online taken with this lens look nice, but the range is a little awkard. i like getting close to my subjects when i shoot, but i also like a nice decently sharp, fast lens.

I would not want a 28 as my minimum focal length on a walkaround lens on a crop-body camera. I love my Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 .... great focal length range, sharp, great color and build.

definately, learned my lesson there. great lens none the less though, fits my needs and expectations for the price range, it's just the focus problem. iunno, i bought this lens at some asian camera store where they didn't let me try it out before buying it... which is kinda dumb. should've went to another store.

anyone here have experience with the sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 hsm for nikon? preferably with the d60. i just wanna know if it's because of a faulty lens, or if this model just doesnt focus well with the camera.

OK OK, I just make sure nobody puts a Toyota engine in my Chevy :lol:

But your chevy would last a lot longer that way.....LOL

Well based on my own experiences the autofocus on the 18-200mm Nikkor fails at -50C but it started working again once it thawed :)

Condensation on the sensor is bad. If condensation forms keep the camera in a warm dry environment till it disappears. Don't power on and keep using the camera. Condensation on the lens is less bad but leads to fungal growth if not taken care of.

Most reactions

Back