Lens Choice and Crop Factor????

WarpFactorVIII

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I own a Rebet XT (350D) and have really been interested in getting the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. I have heard however though that due to the crop factor of the camera it makes the lens a 45mm-2??...Just wondering how true this is and if anyone can explain why this is for this lens.

Also if anyone could maybe make a suggestion of a good walkaround zoom lens that has IS (hands not steady all of the time) as well as under $400..
Currently I own the kit lens (18-55mm) and a Tamron 70-200mm lens however I would perfer to have something that would be a little bit more verstile due to the fact that I hate having to change lens all the time..lol

Any Suggestions would be great...

The crop factor does not actually change the focal length of the lens. The crop factor is a comparison to the old standard, which was/is 35mm film.

So when they say that "a 28-135mm is a 45-216mm"...what they mean is that the field of view of that lens on your 'crop' camera is equivalent to what a 45-126mm lens would be on a 35mm film camera.

So if you aren't familiar with the field of view of certain focal lengths on a 35mm camera....then the crop factor should be meaningless to you.

As for a good 'walk around' lens with IS...the 28-135mm is a good choice. I personally prefer the 17-85mm IS...it's pretty much the same lens, but in EF-S format for the digital 'crop' bodies. I just don't feel that 28mm is wide enough for me.

There are also a couple new IS lenses avaliable. The 18-55mm IS and the 55-250mm IS.

Lastly, Image Stabilization is nice to have, but it isn't always helpful. For example, it won't do anything to help freeze the motion of a moving subject. To do that, you need a faster shutter speed....and to get a faster shutter speed, it helps to have a lens with a larger maximum aperture. I would recommend something like the 50mm F1.8. It's not a zoom but the large max aperture will allow you to shoot in lower light than your current lenses. The image quality is also pretty good for such a cheap lens.

Last edited:
So when they say that "a 28-135mm is a 45-126mm"...
I'm sure this is a typo..., should be 216mm. ...just so nobody gets confused.

Damn, this is post 666 for me, lol!

Thanks for the relies guys...Let me get this straight though just to keep from confusing myself: The "crop Factor" is how the field of view on a digital camera with a certain lens compares to the field of view on a 35mm film camera? As you stated I'm not very familiar with the 35mm fim cameras at all but I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Also I am a little concerned that the 28 will not be wide enough for my needs as well however I did not cosider the 17-85mm. Also I understand the concept of IS and mainly want to use it for some still pictures (I don't have the steadiest of hands and don't always have my tripod handy either..lol)

Thanks again.

You 28 will likely not be wide enough for you. Then again, it depends on what you like to shoot. Landscapes/cityscapes, etc are better wider in my opinion. I love playing around with the wider lenses. I have an XTi and a 40D, both crop sensor cameras. I often find that my 17 is not wide enough.

Derrick

Yeah I shoot a little of everything but I really like the wider angle lens. the 17-85 is sounding like a good option as a everyday type of lens. I'm going on a trip later this month and would really like to have a good lens that I can use. Thanks for the help, Brandon

Let me get this straight though just to keep from confusing myself: The "crop Factor" is how the field of view on a digital camera with a certain lens compares to the field of view on a 35mm film camera?
You've got it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back