ToddB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autocrossforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I'm new to the site and have absolutely fallen in love with some of your photos. It has gotten me all geeked up about buying a new camera. Currently I have a Nikon N60 with Tamron 28-105mm 1:4-5.6 and a Nikkor 70-300 1:4-5.6G lens. I really like the camera but it is not digital (obviously) and it makes experimenting VERY expensive. I would like to upgrade to a Nikon DSLR but am not sure which ones are compatible with the lenses I already have. I have heard that the D40 is not but I don't remember why it isn't compatible.

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what I should buy. Keep in mind that I am a hobbyist at best. I don't need a pro quality body, just one to keep an amateur happy.

Thanks

ToddB

The compatibility issue with the D40 is it won't autofocus with lenses other than AF-S or AF-I lenses. They (EDIT: the other lenses) are still compatible in manual focus mode. I'm not expert, but what I've heard is the AF-S and AF-I lenses use an in-lense motor to autofocus and the D40 lacks the in-body motor to autofocus other lenses.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest going for the D80, which has the in-camera motor and delivers higher quality pictures.

The compatibility issue with the D40 is it won't autofocus with lenses other than AF-S or AF-I lenses. They are still compatible in manual focus mode. I'm not expert, but what I've heard is the AF-S and AF-I lenses use an in-lense motor to autofocus and the D40 lacks the in-body motor to autofocus other lenses.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest going for the D80, which has the in-camera motor and delivers higher quality pictures.

Yes, if you have old glass that you want to use, go a step up from the D40 or find a used D50.

I still use my old Minolta film camera, to get past the cost I started getting the cheap store brand film (if you do some research you can find what no-name film is the same as the name brand) and then I have them processed negatives only ($2.50). To shoot a roll of film it costs about $5.

Cost is never a factor if you get a little creative...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back