Lens decision help!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Finaddict, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Finaddict

Finaddict TPF Noob!

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I've been looking at the following lenses and just can't decide on which would be the best.

Canon 75-300mm III USM
    Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro
    Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro

All have their pros and cons but I need some help in deciding which would be the best choice. Since I'm a noob I don't wanna take the dive off into the big time lenses just yet. Wanna get a little experience under my belt first. Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks,
    Steve

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    this might not be in your price range, but if you can afford it the 70-300 IS from canon is the best in that range. out of those three though, i'd go with the tamron. i dont know much about the sigma, and the older canon 75-300 is just plain bad from what i've seen.

3. Pixel9ine

Pixel9ine TPF Noob!

I tried out the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro at the camera store a few weeks back-- it's a nifty little lens, the price-point was comparatively good, and the macro mode on it was quite useful.

The only trouble I had with it (partly why I'm saving up to buy a 70-200 F/4L instead) is the fact that the front element rotates during focusing... it makes using a polarizier difficult; I had otherwise seriously considered buying it.

In the end though, the L is where I'm putting my money... literally. I know it's not in your list of choices, but really it wasn't in mine either. What you lose in length you'll gain in sharpness.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon 75-300 III is the new version, I think.

I have the Canon 75-300 III USM. It's good, for a consumer telephoto zoom...but it's not an outstanding lens.