lens for safari

lkavaney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hopefully going on safari to Kenya next year. I'm looking for a lens that will complement my 100-400L nicely. I'm thinking 70-200 f2.8 L what do you think? I'm open to any brand obviously if they are good. It is about £1250 at the moment, my maximum budget will be about that really so no prime suggestions please :lol: thanks!! I need to know what sort of price I'm looking at so I know how many banks to rob beforehand!! ;)

If you are thinking about a 70-200, the F2.8 L IS is probably the best but it's big and heavy. The 70-200 F4 IS is lighter and also extremely sharp.

What about a wider angle? If the 18-55 is your only wide lens, I might suggest something better.

the 100 will certainly be still too long in some cases, and so might the 70 ... unless you want to shoot purely wildlife at some distance. but there are landscapes too and you might want a herd of animals in a wide landscape ... so 70mm can be still too long then.

on the other hand the 2.8 would help.

still, I personally would complement it with a 24-70mm f/2.8 L ... but it all depends on your personal shooting habits.

Why? the 100-400 covers most of the same are ans goes longer? Unless you're going to replace it, than I wouldn't buy the 70-200, like what Alex said, the 24-70 would be a better option. Maybe even the 17-55 IS.

I'll second the 17mm-55mm range! Looking a lion in the eye is one thing, looking at a lion biting your fender is not to be missed!

A mountain is just a pile of rock and dirt with out some foreground to give perspective.

A ... well, you get the drift. :)

mike

You appear to have the long end covered already. Although I can see that an f2.8 would appeal with the faster apperture.
The short end does seem a little lacking though. I have just bought the 17-85 IS USM and it is (IMHO) a belter. Although you still have the f4/5.6 max appertures. It is instantainiously recognisable as MUCH sharper than the 18 - 55 kit lens. And does have a good reach that almost closes the gap.

yeah your totally right!! I don't know where my brain was ;) blonde moment maybe? I'm sure at some point it would have dawned on me I need a decent lens for landscape but when I don't know LOL must say I've very tempted by the 24-70mm f/2.8 L I looked up some examples of images on Flickr and well WOW somes it up. Thanks!! Anyone here use this lens? if so would love to see some of your work. Thanks again.

The 24-70 F2.8 L is one of Canon's best lenses. A very useful focal range on film or 'full frame digital'.

However, it's kind of a weird focal length on a camera like yours. Only because 24mm isn't wide like it is on a film camera. I'll second the recommendation for the 17-55 F2.8 IS, if you can afford it. Alternatively, the 17-85 IS, is a good lens just not as fast as the first one. Yet another option might be the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50 F2.8.

I would second the opinions about a good quality wide angle. Either 24 - 70 or 17 - 85 IS...

One other thing you might like to consider is a second body.
If you have two bodies, one with your wide angle zoom and the other with the long zoom, then you won´t waste time (and miss shots) by fiddling around changing lenses.
Remember that the scenery and wildlife and light will be changing fast...and it´s easy to drop things or get dust in the bodies when you are trying to change lenses in a hurry.
You will also need a small bean bag (do you know why?)

I am also planning a trip to Africa next spring and started to compile the equipment I want to pack. I settled for the EF 24-105 F/4 L IS to compliment my EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS and EF 300 f/4 L IS. I chose it for both the range that it covers, sharpness, IS and lighter weight than the EF 24-70 f/2.8. I shoot mostly outdoor and nature photography so the f/4 works fine for me at the moment. With the scratch I saved I picked up a EF 1.4x TC.

Understand that expensive cameras and lenses are sometimes "seized" at customs in Kenya and Tanzania. Plain old outright theft. Just be aware before you take any prized, expensive photographic gear to these areas. I know many pros who have lost long fast lenses at customs there.

i'm gonna be the discordant note here and suggest an ultrafast lens for night photography and landscapes. Consider a 50 1.2 or 1.4. So fast it'll burn your socks off, and its also the right focal length for landscapes.
i mean, stuff also happens at night in a safari right?

I'd leave the 70-200mm f2.8L IS at home... a bit short .. a bit heavy. Some goes for 24-70mm f2.8L. Nothing makes for a miserable trip than too much equipment...

For me.. I'd pack the following:

24-105mm IS L
100-400mm IS L
24mm f1.4L or 35mm f1.4L or 35mm f2 (which is really compact)
1.4x teleconverter

Wonderful range from two easier to pack zooms. 1 prime slightly wide for low light handheld shooting.... I like the 35mm range for the more "journalistic" type of shooting. People forget that you can handhold a slightly wide angle (shorter focal lengths) lens a little easier in low light.... getting a faster (wider max aperture) lens is not the only way.. it sure is the most expensive way.

Canon 50mm f1.2 and 85mm f1.2 are big and heavy... expensive... not all that practical on a safari.

thanks! I will google all of those for prices and yeh insurance is a definite ;) definitely don't want the 17-55 ef-s as I don't intend to stay with my 350D for much longer I would rather spend a little bit more and have a lens that will be compatible with a full frame in a little while rather than spend £450 on a lens that I won't be able to use when I upgrade my body (*note another bank robbery needed here!) thanks!!

Most reactions

Back