rprimeau95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rlp-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
FISHEYEB2.jpg

Does it matter what shape or type of lens hood you get as fits your lens if it is the right size like my 58mm. The lens hood above is a 58mm, but it looks different than others I have seen like the flowered shaped lens hood below? is it a preference thing?

e7_1.JPG

The petal shaped ones are for specific lenses. They cover as much area as they can, without blocking any of the lens (and causing vignetting). The hoods like the first one are OK...as long as they don't block the view of the lens.

I have a rubber hood like that first one. On my 18-55 lens, from 18mm to about 30mm, it gives me black corners.

get the hood designated by the manufacturer for that lens. Petal shaped hoods do not block as much light in the corners to prevent vignetting. Canon/Nikon/Etc, designate certain hoods for certain lenses for a reason, so try to either get that brand's hood or one in the same size/style.

Really, the only thing the rubber ones are good for, is acting as a suction cup. Put it on glass, and it shades form glare, so you can still use flash.

Really, the only thing the rubber ones are good for, is acting as a suction cup. Put it on glass, and it shades form glare, so you can still use flash.
That's a good idea, I'll have to remember that in case I have to shoot through glass (the zoo, or an aquarium comes to mind).

Wow that is a cool idea. Ok so don't go by the size of the lens like 58mm or 52mm but look up the lens hood per lens?

I thought if you had several lenses with the same size lens you could use it on all those lenses kind of like the UV lens protectors

I thought if you had several lenses with the same size lens you could use it on all those lenses kind of like the UV lens protectors
Well, you can use the same hood on different lenses of the same diameter...but just make sure that it doesn't vignette on the wider lenses.

Also, typically, the 'petal' style lens hoods don't attach via the lens threads. This is because they have to be in the correct position. Lenses that have a matching hoods, have a bayonet style mounting...(twist & lock). This way, you can attach the hood to the lens, separate from any filters. If your particular lens doesn't have the bayonet mount on the front, then you would need a screw mount hood like the one in the photo.

I can tell that you are doing a lot of looking on sties like E-bay...and trying to figure out about all this stuff. That's good. It's not the easiest way to learn though. I suggest that you go into a good camera store, preferably when it's not buys and try to find someone working there, who looks like they know what they are doing. They should be able to show you a lot of this stuff...first hand. It's much easier to grasp this stuff when you actually see these things in front of you.

I can tell that you are doing a lot of looking on sties like E-bay...and trying to figure out about all this stuff. That's good. It's not the easiest way to learn though. I suggest that you go into a good camera store, preferably when it's not buys and try to find someone working there, who looks like they know what they are doing. They should be able to show you a lot of this stuff...first hand. It's much easier to grasp this stuff when you actually see these things in front of you.

Mike I live in the country and there is only one camera shop around about 25mins away I did go in and they were snobby to me and didn't want to answer my questions. They asked me what camera I had I told them they asked if I bought it from them I said no I got it from a local photography off of ebay and they didn't want to answer my questions after that I was really bummed about this.

Their used to be another shop about an hour away but they closed down.

I have only been on ebay to get a used lens

I did find a great article on beginners understanding all about lenses
http://photonotes.org

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/

it has helped me alot so I don't drive you all nuts LOL

I have a big old box of lens hoods. Personally, the second I buy a lens, I throw the hood into the big old box, and hang on to it in case I ever sell the lens.
I just never use them.
(Same goes with those funky little plastic card holders. Into the box!)

I use a lens hood on all my lenses...almost all the time. Even my 10-22mm lens...which has a hood that barely sticks out farther than the lens...and is as big around as a dinner plate :lol:

I use a lens hood on all my lenses...almost all the time. Even my 10-22mm lens...which has a hood that barely sticks out farther than the lens...and is as big around as a dinner plate :lol:

Big Mike,
If you haven't tried it I can tell you that the petal hood for the 10-22mm Canon lens makes a wonderful snack tray stand for stuff like Chips and Dip. :lol:

Seriously, a factory made lens hood for the lens you have is a must every time you put the lens on the camera body. It not only protects from stray light, but it protects the front of the lens. That rubber job is a train wreck waiting to happen.

but it protects the front of the lens
That's a big reason I use them...as I don't like buying/using UV filters for all my lenses.

I feel much more comfortable with something on the front of my lens. I knocked my E-10 off the seat of my truck and onto the street. Luckly I had a UV filter and the lens cap on, those two combined saved the camera. Cap popped off and probably provided a bit of bounce, and the UV filter was roached, glass shattered and the metal ring was all smashed up, but it saved the camera!

Lens hood and filters are like crumple zones in cars.

Thanks to those who explained the reason for the petal-shaped hood and it's fixed position on the camera. I just received my first such hood and must admit I had wondered. All my previous hoods over the years, and there have been a few, have been symmetrical. How very low-tech.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back