Lens Question...

spag_187

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My question is... Will a cheaper lens such as the EF-S 50-250mm IS have the same/similar zoom reach as the more expensive 200mm L models? I assume only the image quality will differ.

Thanks...

Will a cheaper lens such as the EF-S 50-250mm IS have the same/similar zoom reach as the more expensive 200mm L models?
The zoom/reach (focal length) is right in the name of the lenes.

250mm is longer than 200mm, so the 50-250mm will give you more 'reach' than a 200mm lens. It's just that simple.

And yes, if you are comparing the 50-250mm lens to something like a 70-200mm F4 L, then the image quality will be quite different.

The functional focal length of the lens also depends on the camera you're using. If you're using a small sensor camera, the EF series L lens will have more zoom than the 250mm EF-S model; in fact, on a 1.6 sensor camera, the visual effect of a ES 200mm L would be the same as a 320mm EF-S lens. This is true for all EF series lenses used on small sensor cameras -- multiply the rated focal length on the lens by 1.6 to get the focal length equivalent.

If you're using a small sensor camera, the EF series L lens will have more zoom than the 250mm EF-S model; in fact, on a 1.6 sensor camera, the visual effect of a ES 200mm L would be the same as a 320mm EF-S lens. This is true for all EF series lenses used on small sensor cameras -- multiply the rated focal length on the lens by 1.6 to get the focal length equivalent.
NO...not at all.

The crop factor is for comparing the field of view between 'crop sensor cameras' and 35mm film SLR cameras (or full frame digital). It is not for comparing lenses to one another.

The maximum focal length of an EF-S 50-250mm lens is 250mm. The maximum focal length of an EF 70-200mm is 200mm. If you set both lenses to 200mm, you will get exactly the same view on the camera. Of course, the EF-S lens will not mount to a film or full frame camera, so it would have to be a crop sensor camera.

Unless someone has previous experience with 35mm film cameras (or full frame digital) then they should forget about the crop factor. It's only use is for comparison....and they use 35mm film because that was the standard for a few decades.

Last edited:
If there was a prize for dumbest question of the day this would win
One is 250mm the other 200mm makes no difference what body you put it on

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]1.6x Crop Factor [/SIZE](What's a Crop Factor?) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Because these sensors are 1.6x smaller than film, they show an area equivalent to the area shown by a lens 1.6x as long on 35mm film.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A 100mm lens on one of these cameras shows the same area of view that a 160mm lens would show on a 35mm film or full-frame camera. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Multiply a lens' focal length by 1.6 to get the focal length of a lens which, when used on a full-frame or 35mm film camera, gives the same angle of view as that lens does on one of these cameras. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]EF-S Lenses[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are special, shorter lenses designed especially to take advantage of the smaller sensors of these cameras. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These lenses don't make an image big enough to work on the 1.3x (1D series) or full-frame or film cameras. [/FONT]​

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

It does make a difference what body you put it on. EF-S lenses produce a smaller image so you don't get the crop factor that you would using an EF lens on a small-sensor camera.​

It does make a difference what body you put it on. EF-S lenses produce a smaller image so you don't get the crop factor that you would using an EF lens on a small-sensor camera.
The crop factor is about the body, not the lens.
EF-S lenses do have a smaller image circle, but 200mm is still 200mm.

EF-S lenses are designed to be used with cropped frame cameras, but the focal length listed on them is not taking into account the crop factor. An EF-S lens at 50mm is exactly the same focal length as an EF lens at 50mm. If I put each of those lenses on a cropped frame sensor camera, I will get exactly the same focal length on both of them. It will be equivalent to 80mm on a full frame, regardless if the lens is EF or EF-S.

EF-S lenses are designed to be used with cropped frame cameras, but the focal length listed on them is not taking into account the crop factor. An EF-S lens at 50mm is exactly the same focal length as an EF lens at 50mm. If I put each of those lenses on a cropped frame sensor camera, I will get exactly the same focal length on both of them. It will be equivalent to 80mm on a full frame, regardless if the lens is EF or EF-S.
OK, I was confused. Thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that using an EF (or FX for Nikon) lens on a small frame camera would mean increased focal length over their EF-S/DX equivalent.

You don't have to be condescending, Mike. And thanks for the useful response, gsgary.

I think this overall discussion might be why I asked the so called "dumbest question of the day". A friend of mine is using a much better camera body (I don't know which model exactly) but when I look at some of his shots that he took with his 200mm L series they look much closer at 200mm then some of mine do with my rebel at 250mm.

Oh and gsgary...go **** yourself! I don't care if I get booted of the forum. Im asking a question in the beginners area. I don't have the vast knowledge of photography such as a dip-**** like yourself.

Sorry to have offended anyone here...

Last edited:
You don't have to be condescending, Mike
Wasn't trying to be, sorry.

I just get a little riled up when I see incorrect information being spread around...especially about the stupid crop factor, which has been discussed to death many, many times.

:cheers:

You don't have to be condescending, Mike
Wasn't trying to be, sorry.

I just get a little riled up when I see incorrect information being spread around...especially about the stupid crop factor, which has been discussed to death many, many times.

:cheers:

Mike, you are completely correct.

It is always wrong to say that a camera's crop factor affect the focal length of a lens. Anytime a post makes this false statement its error should be pointed out and corrected. The vast majority of the confusion about crop factor comes from the poor explanations by well meaning but incorrect replies.

OK, I was confused. Thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that using an EF (or FX for Nikon) lens on a small frame camera would mean increased focal length over their EF-S/DX equivalent.

You don't have to be condescending, Mike. And thanks for the useful response, gsgary.

Don't feel bad about the misunderstanding of the focal length and crop factor. There are a lot of information out there and some of them are confusing. I was in the same boat before back in 2008 regarding crop factor (as a total noob) and thanks to Bigmike for the correction back then. You know, at the end, what matter most is the knowledge you gain from this thread.

A friend of mine is using a much better camera body (I don't know which model exactly) but when I look at some of his shots that he took with his 200mm L series they look much closer at 200mm then some of mine do with my rebel at 250mm.

He is probably using the extra resolution of his much better body and lens and cropping the picture down significantly, which is in effect the same as using 200mm lens on a camera with a smaller sensor (if that makes sense).

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]1.6x Crop Factor [/SIZE](What's a Crop Factor?) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Because these sensors are 1.6x smaller than film, they show an area equivalent to the area shown by a lens 1.6x as long on 35mm film.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A 100mm lens on one of these cameras shows the same area of view that a 160mm lens would show on a 35mm film or full-frame camera. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Multiply a lens' focal length by 1.6 to get the focal length of a lens which, when used on a full-frame or 35mm film camera, gives the same angle of view as that lens does on one of these cameras. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]EF-S Lenses[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are special, shorter lenses designed especially to take advantage of the smaller sensors of these cameras. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These lenses don't make an image big enough to work on the 1.3x (1D series) or full-frame or film cameras. [/FONT]​

Crop Factor

It does make a difference what body you put it on. EF-S lenses produce a smaller image so you don't get the crop factor that you would using an EF lens on a small-sensor camera.​

It makes no difference to me because i wouldn't put an EF-s lens on my camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back