Lens Recommendation For Wedding (Please Help)

iOnDewMuch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a friend who's getting married Thursday and wants a 2nd person to take photo's at the wedding just because. The guy that's the main photographer gave me a call and told me to hop aboard. I'm limited on glass as I have a Canon 7D with kit lens (28-135mm) and 50mm 1.8. A local rental shop does have a few Canon lenses I can rent for a few days. Here's a list of lenses they can provide....any help is greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to this.

Pixel Factory is the website

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Lens [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$30.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Normal EF 14mm f/2.8L[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Normal EF 20mm f/2.8L[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Normal EF 28mm f/2.8L[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Normal EF 35mm f/2.0L[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Compact 50mm f/2.5
Macro Autofocus Lens
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$30.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon EF 85 f/1.8 Lens[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$30.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon 200mm f/2.8 Lens[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$40.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon EF 8-15 4L USM Lens[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$30.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle
EF 16-35mm 2.8 L I
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle
EF 16-35mm 2.8 L II
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto
EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Zoom Telephoto
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$45.00[/FONT]

Either the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L would be the glass to use. Those are the go to lenses for other wedding and portrait photos.

Either the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L would be the glass to use. Those are the go to lenses for other wedding and portrait photos.

+1 on those two, but i would also get something wider, like the 16-35 f/2.8

Or skip on the 24-70mm yawn bonanza and get a 35L and the 70-200

Wow, thanks for the info guys. The 24-70 isn't the Mark 2. I do have the 70-200mm held at the current moment.

I'll let Tyler and Robin settle this one, they have the experience.

Tyler, why the 35 over the 24-70?
In my opinion, from the images I've seen and the actual stats of the lens... It's just a very run of the mill zoom lens. Sure, the optical quality is good, but the aesthetic impression leaves a bit to be desired. Not worth the money to me, but that is also dependent on shooting style.

Oh okay. I can see the dependent on style part. I shot with a borrowed (from a friend) Nifty Fifty a couple of weeks ago and wasn't happy with the results and ended up putting my 24-135mm back on to shoot with.

So with this, I would assume that you have to get used to or learn to shoot with particular glass.

Yep.. 24-70... one of my favorite lenses for any type of event shooting...

I'll let Tyler and Robin settle this one, they have the experience.

Tyler, why the 35 over the 24-70?

The 35 is a 2.0 and the 24-70 is a 2.8. 35 is great in low light and a great prime would be nice, but there will be distortion.

The 24-70 is my least favorite lens. Grab the 70-200 and the 35. A great prime will really take you a long way in terms of quality and during the reception.

24-70 if you were the main but you don't want to get in his way, 70-200 and your 50 will serve you well.

The 24-70 f/2.8 is a great lens and probably the most versatile. The only exception is that "during" the ceremony when you're off to the sides it's nice to have the 70-200 f/2.8.

The 24-70 on an APS-C body will only seem very slightly wide... the 17-55mm f/2.8 (an EF-S lens) is a bit more versatile for wide shots, but that wasn't on your list.

If you can only get ONE lens, then the 24-70 f/2.8 is your best bet. If you can get more than one, then the 70-200 f/2.8 would be the 2nd lens.

Most reactions

Back