Lens ? Sigma vs Nikkon

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want a shallower DOF when photographing horses from a distance. My lil 55-200 VR only gets me down to f/4. The guy in ritz suggested the Sigma 55-200 f/2.8. Anyone used this lens? Like it?
Is it worth the it to fork over the extra cash and get the Nikkon 85-200 f/2.8D?

Have you got your numbers right? Nikon doesn't make an 85-200. Is it an AF 80-200 f/2.8D, ? , which has been discontinued but is still a very fine professional grade lens. It was superseded by the expensive 70-200 f/2.8 VR AF-S.

Sigma also doesn't make a 55-200 f/2.8 to my knowledge, the closest I can think of is the 70-200 f/2.8.

In this case the extra money is worth it. Not just the build quality on the Nikon is better but everything about it; distortion, vignetting, CA, glare, and sharpness across the entire range.

I am also going to assume you're referring to the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, since the ones you mentioned don't exist ;)

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM is a great lens.
The Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 is even better.

Is the Nikkor worth the extra cash? Erm, that kind of depends on how much cash you have and what else you need to spend it on :)

Yeah, my numbers were way off. I shouldn't post when I am so tired.

I am going to wait for the nikkor lens. I called Ritz last night cuz they were having a clearance on the Sigma but turns out...doesn't work on my camera.
Thanks though!

I am also going to assume you're referring to the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, since the ones you mentioned don't exist ;)

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM is a great lens.
The Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 is even better.

Is the Nikkor worth the extra cash? Erm, that kind of depends on how much cash you have and what else you need to spend it on :)

I couldn't have said it better than that.

Eh... the Sigma definitely works fine on the D80. Maybe you are thinking of the D40; it won't autofocus on that.

It works fine on the D80? The guy on the phone said it didnt....oh well. I will have the cash for the Nikkor lens soon so I will wait.

Sigma HSM lenses work fine on both the D80 and D40.

I have shot my Bigma (Sigma 50-500 HSM) on both the D80 and the D40... the HSM is a focusing motor in the lens (you have to have an in-lens focus motor for the D40 since it doesn't have that little focus thingy in the mount).

Maybe the one he had in stock had an EF mount. Sigma make lenses for multiple cameras as you know. The D80 can take any F mount lens made after about 1970s when AutoIndexing came out.

Most reactions

Back