M3RC1L3SS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been shooting for about 6 month
And I was hoping you guy could help me.
I'm using nikon d7100
I'm looking for a good not too expensive lens for all around shooting. Just to have it on the camera for when I'm just walking around taking pics of everything lol.
Thank you in advance for any
suggestions :biggrin:

Last edited:
Define "not too expensive" to you. As far as 'all around' goes, what sort of shooting do you generally do? Do you find yourself typically using longer or short focal lengths?

Also, it helps to know what camera you have.

Sorry I forgot to put it hehe
I'm using a nikon d7100

Not too expensive like under $400.
And I like to shoot cityscape or just walking in the city just taking pics of nice cars and buildings ect. so a shorter focal lens

Last edited:
You can find lots of D-series glass that will work just fine and all well within your budget.

24-50 is around $100.
35-70 is around $50
28-80, $80

Thank you very much I'll be looking in to does

Another excellent choice is the 18-70; it's the kit lens that came with the D70, and while it's a bit slower (f3.5 - f4.5) it's an optically excellent lens and can be had for a song now.

I love prime lenses so I'd recommend the 50 mm f1.4. I have it and love it.
50mm lenses are awesome, but I think the 35mm f/1.8G DX would be the better allrounder^^ You can shoot almost everything with that lens.
The 18-70mm suggested by tirediron and the 35mm I mentioned might be a great combination for you.

A lens I really love, used to own it and was always super happy with is the

Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR

Very sharp lens, used to for a while and other then the fact is a slower then my 24-70mm 2.8 it really is a surprisingly good lens for the price, and its so much smaller and lighter then the faster lenses.
Only way to buy it is used, its one of these "under the radar" lenses which mean they are not expensive to buy use and plenty of them to go around since its the D610 kit lens.
If you consider buying it new then you will pay too much for it, this is a "buy it only used" kind of lens!!! in my opinion of course :)

I appreciate you guys help so much. Now I have some good choices I have to decide from.
Any of you have any feedback on the nikkor 18-70mm??

Feedback on 18-70mm would be that it has the right range to be an all-around zoom for a 1.5x sensor body, which is something the 35-70mm lenses lack...you probably would like the shorter bottom end of 18mm when using a camera like the D7100. The 35-70mm f/3.3~4.5 was a decent 1990's era zoom...I had one for a long time...it'
s small,light,and very low cost, but on a 1.5x camera, it's not wide enough for many common situations. Sigma has made a couple 17-70mm lenses...the earlier model is easily within your price range on the used market; the NEW model is $499.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back