Lens suggestion?

hawks24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Looking for advice/suggestions for a different lens for my D5100. I am a novice when it comes to photography but reading/shooting a lot trying to improve.

What I'm looking for is a lens that would work for taking action shots of the dogs playing both inside and outside. Also, taking family photos of kids/grand kids both inside and out. Currently get motion blur when taking shots of the dogs outside and have trouble getting enough light when inside. Even though this is for my own enjoyment I would like to be able to take some higher quality shots.

Is there any lens that I should consider that would fit both my areas of interest? Or am I just limited by my ability or lack thereof? Thanks for any suggestions and have a great 4th!

Current camera/lens
D5100
Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6
18-55 nikon kit len

Currently get motion blur when taking shots of the dogs outside and have trouble getting enough light when inside. Is there any lens that I should consider that would fit both my areas of interest?
You don't need a lens as much as you need a flash.

If you are happy with a close fixed lens, the 35mm f1.8 should allow faster shutter speeds at lower iso. However for moving subjects you'll still be at at least f2.8/3.2 as depth of field is narrow.

Set your 18-55 at 35 and see would this focal length suit your needs

35mm on your D5100 is about the same as your eyes. And would be what is considered a normal lens at 52mm effective on your 1.5x crop body. The 35mm f/1.8 lenses are inexpensive and good performance as well. Or something like your 18-55 kit lens but faster aperture. And that deppends on your budget. The fixed lenses 35mm, 24mm etc will get you the most change over your current lenses. Over 3 stops if you get a f/1.8 prime lens compared your kit lens that f/5.6 at 55mm.

35mm f/1.8 DX lens is under $200. And is a good performer for the price.
50mm f/1.8 G is around $200 and is also very good performer for the price.

A zoom lens will be slower at f/2.8 and pricier in Nikon. But the big 3 third party lens makers make just fine f/2.8 lenses for a bit less than Nikon.

Currently get motion blur when taking shots of the dogs outside and have trouble getting enough light when inside. Is there any lens that I should consider that would fit both my areas of interest?
You don't need a lens as much as you need a flash.

Bingo. Just add some short duration light. Your lenses will do just fine.

A decent speedlight that offers AF assist when the D5100 is in AF-S (single-shot focusing mode) focus mode will allow the camera and lens to achieve good focus even in VERY bad lighting, or even in the dark--great for situations in total darkness, like oh, say, a family group of raccoons raiding the trash dumpster behind the Mickey D's at midnight,etc.. AF assist from a speedlight flash can REALLY help with focusing when the liught is very bad, or even just marginal!

Lens-wise? The 18-55 might be a little bit short for the dogs outdoors, in some situations, and yes, it's "slow", being only a maximum aperture value of f/5.3 to f/5.6 from the mid- to the long end...and f/5.6 is NOT a fast aperture for action work; it forces you to go to ISO 800 to 3200 in marginal lighting situations. Sort of the same with the 70-300, being f/4 at 70mm, but hitting f/5.3 then dropping to a maximum sized aperture value of only f/5.6 at the middle-upper and upper-most ends of the zoom range; that type of max f/stop can somewhat impede AF operation...plus, the lenses are both "consumer-level" in their inbuilt focusing motor systems.

Adding a FLASH unit, like say one of the $80 units from Neewer (a made in China brand), could help indoor shooting with the 18-55 lens. A nicer, more pro-level lens like say the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 AF-S would make indoor shots with no flash a bit easier, yet still, in poor lighting conditions, I think that ADDING supplementary lighting is the best course of action, not shooting at f/2.8. Bad light is bad light; adding bounced flash to indoor shots can work wonders.

For action work like dogs...I think using multi-point AF can help, as can reading the camera manual and really, really, really learning how the AF system actually CAN work and how it was designed to work; many people turn OFF the multi-point AF systems and then have issues with action shots. The D5100 does not have a super-capable AF module in it, but there are things that can be done to help it achieve maximum performance, and using more than just one,single AF point when photographing fast-moving subjects is the first start.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Seems like I need to look into the lighting suggestions and keep practicing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back