Lens works on one camera but suddenly not on another?

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The lens in question is the Sigma 28-70D f2.8-4, I gave it for repair but the guy returned it today saying it was fine. I tried it on my D7000 with no results (FEE error, and yes the aperture ring is set properly), but surprisingly the D100 detected it and took photos as well.
Even more surprisingly, the I've use the lens on the D7000 on my last trip when and taken loads of pics after which it suddenly stopped working.

Doesn't make any sense to me, and I doubt I'll get any answers to such a random problem, but it was worth a try! Anyone?

nisud.jpg

It makes a LOT of sense to me. It's a Sigma. Not trying to be flippant, but Sigma has long been noted for odd performance issues on Nikon cameras. There have been a few era-specific changes to the Nikon autofocusing/lens information protocols; when the Nikon D200 came out, boatloads of Sigma lenses were rendered inoperable, and they had to do a massive re-chipping program. As I recall, the D200 issue came because Nikon added a back-button focusing option to the D200 body.

Sigma has to reverse-engineer EVERYTHING in its lenses. And there is a lot going on in today's AF cameras. My memory is fuzzy, but I believe there are eight different user-configurable combinations of AE-L and AF-ON on the dual-button pro line like D2 and D3 series...how the button works: is the button LOCKED until pushed again, or locked only as long as it is held? Does AE-L lock the meter AND the focus, or keep one, or the OTHER active, while locking the other parameter? And so on,and so on.

You might look at the D7000's custom function banks and try a Factory Default re-setting or Two-Button Reset as it is called, and see if that does anything. My gut feeling is that the D7000 is significantly newer than the lens's current AF protocol is set up for, and that hopefully, this is just a case of your D7000's custom function settings being set in such a way that the lens is only temporarily malfunctioning. Keep in mind, the D100 and D7000 are about a decade apart in terms of the AF protocols they use, and over time, the protocols grew more and more complex. It is possible I think that the way your D7000 is CURRENTLY configured might be the reason the lens now doesn't work, but formerly did work right.

It makes a LOT of sense to me. It's a Sigma. Not trying to be flippant, but Sigma has long been noted for odd performance issues on Nikon cameras. There have been a few era-specific changes to the Nikon autofocusing/lens information protocols; when the Nikon D200 came out, boatloads of Sigma lenses were rendered inoperable, and they had to do a massive re-chipping program. As I recall, the D200 issue came because Nikon added a back-button focusing option to the D200 body.

Sigma has to reverse-engineer EVERYTHING in its lenses. And there is a lot going on in today's AF cameras. My memory is fuzzy, but I believe there are eight different user-configurable combinations of AE-L and AF-ON on the dual-button pro line like D2 and D3 series...how the button works: is the button LOCKED until pushed again, or locked only as long as it is held? Does AE-L lock the meter AND the focus, or keep one, or the OTHER active, while locking the other parameter? And so on,and so on.

You might look at the D7000's custom function banks and try a Factory Default re-setting or Two-Button Reset as it is called, and see if that does anything. My gut feeling is that the D7000 is significantly newer than the lens's current AF protocol is set up for, and that hopefully, this is just a case of your D7000's custom function settings being set in such a way that the lens is only temporarily malfunctioning. Keep in mind, the D100 and D7000 are about a decade apart in terms of the AF protocols they use, and over time, the protocols grew more and more complex.

OR, the D100 is just that awesome that the old girl will take anything you can put on her.

buuuut, Derrels probably right about the AF systems.

You might look at the D7000's custom function banks and try a Factory Default re-setting or Two-Button Reset as it is called, and see if that does anything.
Nothing, nothing whatsoever!! :BangHead: I tried, and was really hoping that you were correct all the while. I must have reset it like 5 times out of desperation!

My worst fear is that it might be a problem with the D7K, having drenched it mercilessly in rain on my last trek, is it possible it can't read manual lenses anymore? :frown-new: DAMN IT!!

Oh, crap....the D7k was drenched badly last week??? Ummmm...that's not sounding so good.

I shot my D1h in a 6-hour rainy event outdoors and the electronics malfunctioned BADLY, and it took about two weeks for the camera to dry out and return to normal functioning....so...there is hope.

Oh, crap....the D7k was drenched badly last week??? Ummmm...that's not sounding so good.

I shot my D1h in a 6-hour rainy event outdoors and the electronics malfunctioned BADLY, and it took about two weeks for the camera to dry out and return to normal functioning....so...there is hope.
I guess that's all I have for now! :blue: I'll try to find a manual lens somewhere and see if it works on the D7K and keep praying till I find one..Thanks for your help Derrel!

I'd try putting your d7000 somewhere warm and dry with silica gels around it with battery compartment door and other inputs open.

The D7000 is in Manual (M) or Aperture-priority (A), right? None of the other modes will work with a non-CPU lens.

Edit: I think I misread your error, I was thinking F-- not FEE, and you didn't say non-CPU, I just assumed that. I need some sleep, I think.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back