Lense opinion

King James

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 20d and can't decide between 2 lenses. I'm really not sure what to be looking for so any opinions to be offered are more than welcomed.

I'm deciding between:
-EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

I also may pick up the
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]EF 50mm f/1.8 II . Thanks for any and all help! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

What do you have now? I would highly recommend a prime lens like the 50mm if you don't have one. Everyone loves the idea of a zoom, but I think they are often misused and can lead to bad habits when starting out.

If you just want something to take pictures with, get the 28-105. If you want to learn photography, I'd suggest learning how to use the 50mm first before getting anything else.

markc said:
What do you have now? I would highly recommend a prime lens like the 50mm if you don't have one. Everyone loves the idea of a zoom, but I think they are often misused and can lead to bad habits when starting out.

If you just want something to take pictures with, get the 28-105. If you want to learn photography, I'd suggest learning how to use the 50mm first before getting anything else.

I was planning on getting the 50mm probably for sure...just didn't know which was better between the 2 zoom lenses.

yes prime is the way to go. moste definately, you always here arrogant *badword*heads saying "learn to shoot primes people". Arrogant *badword*heads are often very good photographers. They are better than any zoom lens, better f stops, sharper, more 'pure' ( i think thats an ambiguous way of saying they encourage more clean and proffessional habits, leading to more deliberate photos). anyway, have fun!

Most reactions

Back