lenses from old camera

richm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm even less than an amateur, so forgive my ignorance about this. I have an old Minolta x370 that no longer works. I was wondering if the lenses I've been using with this camera, can work on any of today's cameras? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you

With an adapter you can use is on many mirrorless digital cameras.

I use our older Minolta MD/MC manual focus lenses on my Sony NEX-5n/6 with adapter.

Have you been using the camera and are wanting to use the failure of the camera to upgrade, or did you just get it and find the camera is DOA?

I'm even less than an amateur, so forgive my ignorance about this. I have an old Minolta x370 that no longer works. I was wondering if the lenses I've been using with this camera, can work on any of today's cameras? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you
Hi, and welcome!

While it may seem like a good opportunity to save money on lenses, the reality is that the lenses packaged with a new (or used) digital are matched to the digital body. So yes, probably a Sony, but unless you have your heart set on a Sony, you might as well consider a clean slate as to what brand you choose.

While it may seem like a good opportunity to save money on lenses, the reality is that the lenses packaged with a new (or used) digital are matched to the digital body. So yes, probably a Sony, but unless you have your heart set on a Sony, you might as well consider a clean slate as to what brand you choose.

Can't agree more to that. A Minolta 50mm lens is not worth enough to fiddle with an adapter on a newer digital body. Start fresh, get an AF lens, and enjoy the ride.

Can't agree more to that. A Minolta 50mm lens is not worth enough to fiddle with an adapter on a newer digital body. Start fresh, get an AF lens, and enjoy the ride.

I find using adapted lenses can be great fun. Yes the Minolta 50mm isn't worth much but if you have a fair collection of Minolta lenses getting a camera that you can use them on is worthwhile. It may not stop you wanting a collection of decent AF lenses for your new camera, but it will reduce the urgency in getting a whole set of new glass.
Most mirrorless systems are easy to adapt to legacy lenses the crop factors of some will totally change the field of view of the lenses, which depending on your subject type can be an advantage or a reason to choose a different body.

I wouldn't bother right now with trying to adapt the SR mount Minolta lenses to one of the many cameras that adapters are available for. Sony bought Minolta, but the SR-mount (which is all the old manual focus lenses such as your MD style) is not the same as the newer autofocus A-mount or their E-mount).

So you could pick up something like a Sony A7 and an Adapter from the Minolta MD lens to Sony A (or Alfa) mount that is on the A7. But then you still have manual focus and will probably spend more time evaluating whether you like the characteristics of the old lens than actually taking pictures of things that interest you.

Now if you already have an idea that you want some "look", then it might be worth trying out old lenses. However if you are just looking to save some money by using old lenses then it could become very frustrating (or "Great Fun" as Petrochemist says) depending on what your photographic interests are.

I would just by another old Minolta film body that can use those old lenses (someone may give you one if you tell people you have some old lenses sitting around - or give your lenses to them) and I would buy a newer DSLR camera/lens combo. I gave away my old 28mm and 135mm Minolta MC lenses years ago.

An entry level DSLR is probably cheaper than many of the cameras that have adapters available that can use your old Minolta MD lenses. And you could still reverse mount you old lens on the DSLR to use it for macro photography.

Honestly...I agree with everyone else that it's just not worth it to try to use an adapter.

I do, however have the X-700 I'd be willing to sell with a 50mm f/1.7 and a Tokina 28-70 f/3.5-4.5. Feel free to PM me if you're intersted.

Most DSLRs require an intermediate glass element to adapt MD lenses. I am unsure if Canon does, but that would be your best bet. Sony alpha does.

I would highly recommend just avoiding these adapters entirely. They're all pretty much trash.

Mirrorless though, old lenses are great, and as it has been said you can adapt anything to them so long as the image circle covers.

Older lenses are not always as sharp as newer ones. However, as the Mighty BitterJewler put it "sharpness is over-rated". Sharpness is only one aspect to what makes a good lens, and depending on your style and subject choice - very possibly a pretty minor one. Many classic lens designs, including the Tessar, are not known for being super sharp. However, this is by no means to say that a Tessar design can't produce great images - such a statement would probably suggest an overwhelming majority of images produced before 1965 are "bad".

Some classic lenses are good because they're "wild". The fast Oly G-Zuikos for example - though maybe a little too "wild" for my taste. One of my favorite lenses is the "Circular Saw" Vivitar 35/2.8. If tilt-a-whirl bokeh is your thing (no idea why it would be) this extremely "lentil-shaped bokeh" quality is simply something you just can't find today.

Lenses today are "better" but they're also a bit "soul-less" and clinical as a result. It is very rewarding to find bargain basement gems.

Last edited:
If it's purely a financial decision, then use the old lens with an adapter. But ask yourself whether you think an old lens is really the lens you want to use. Computer assisted design and production has been steadily improving lens quality over the last decade or so. While there are a few lenses which hold up to today's best values, for the most part I think you'll find most low priced or kit lenses from not so many years ago can no longer compete with what's out there today.

[QUOTE="unpopular, post: 3475689, member: 94254"

Lenses today are "better" but they're also a bit "soul-less" and clinical as a result. It is very rewarding to find bargain basement gems.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but isn't that how the majority of consumer level digital cameras exist also? Clinical and robotic seems to sell. Seems predictably average is the new good.

I actually want my recording medium to be neutral, it's something I really appreciate about digital photography.

It's why I used to shoot Sensia.

I'm sure lots of people have a different view on this aspect, that's fine - it's just a matter of philosophy.

6458463801_3040f3d823_b.jpg

Ilex Solar 5.5"/4.5 - probably the oldest lens I have. Albeit limited in application, the bokeh is perfect and the soft, diffused star flair is pretty unique. I should probably mount this lens into a helical.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back