Light painting question

shefjr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I ventured out tonight to try my hand at light painting. I had/have an idea for something that I want to create and thought that I knew what I was doing but, again I prove myself wrong. UGH!!! (lol sort of) The final image that I am posting is a stacked image just I guess to show you sort of where my image is currently at.

light painting attempt 1 stacked by Shefjr, on Flickr
F11, 30 seconds, ISO 800, 16mm

I'm not looking for c+c as much as I would really love to explain what I did and then get an answer to one question, which I'm sure will spawn additional questions.

What I had attempted to do was flash my face before I spun the light around in a circle. When I did that the face flash was not in the end result.
So then I did the opposite and flashed my face at the end of the image and with that event I would see my face but not the the circle of light.
I was obviously wrong in my thinking that I could get both exposures onto one image without stacking. I thought that if I spent 15 - 20 seconds burning part of the exposure with one method of lighting and the remaining amount of time with the other that the sensor would retain both parts of the exposure. I find it odd that there isn't even a glimmer of the first 15 seconds of lighting that is done on the sensor. So in my mind I feel like the sensor will darken a lit location if it doesn't remain lit.

So here is the question. Why is it that I can't get both events on the same photo without stacking the image?

Thanks for the help.
FWIW, I just got done reading Understanding Exposure and I feel like a dolt and am gonna go back and read it again.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but you're doing something wrong. In this image, I made the orb, then used two speedlights to flash me and the trees, all on one shot that took almost 3 minutes to make:

The_Enchanted_Place_6273.jpg

Buckster said:
Not sure why, but you're doing something wrong. In this image, I made the orb, then used two speedlights to flash me and the trees, all on one shot that took almost 3 minutes to make:

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I was actually trying to do a blend of what both you and Tyler had posted in the other light painting thread.
In my other attempt I used a sb700 to light my hand. Then after I had a flashing light on a string that I spun in circles and let out a little more string the further away I got from my hand.

Basically I wanted it to look like I had a sideways tornado of red and blue light shooting out of my hand.

Buckster said:

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I was actually trying to do a blend of what both you and Tyler had posted in the other light painting thread.
In my other attempt I used a sb700 to light my hand. Then after I had a flashing light on a string that I spun in circles and let out a little more string the further away I got from my hand.

Basically I wanted it to look like I had a sideways tornado of red and blue light shooting out of my hand.
Sounds like it'd make a really neat shot! Just keep working at it, and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Are you firing the flash independently, or through the camera somehow?

Are you firing the flash independently, or through the camera somehow?

It was a pain in the arse. I had the flash in my pocket and the light and sting in the other. I was firing it with a remote hot shoe in one hand and the trigger in the other.

I just find it odd that there isn't a glimmer of what ever is exposed for the first 20 seconds of the exposure. I guess I thought it would expose like a rear flash sync are slow flash sync. I'm reading creative Nikon lighting and must have missed something in there.
The photo below I had flashed my hand 2 times at the start of the exposure and if you look really close you can see ever so slightly something of a hand I think.

light painting attempt tornado by Shefjr, on Flickr

Yeah, as long as the shutter's open, it ought to record whatever is being lit...

Well I'm gonna have to open up the good ole' owners manual and see if I have settings off somewhere. I'll give her another try tomorrow.

Thank you Buckster! :thumbup:
Keep up the good fight and I hope you find the same relief as your cousin did with the med. Mary J.

So I think I have made some progress on my light painting adventure. I know I still have work to do but, I did accomplish what I wanted to. Which was using flash and incorporating flares along with the flash. I also wanted to try the steel wool technique (for lack of better terminology). I went out into the yard and got a couple quick attempts before it started to rain/snow. YUCK!!! So now when the weather stops precipitating I'll hopefully put together my vision (that sounds pretentious).

Until then, anything to pick on with these as far as my camera settings go? Or anything else for that matter?

F22, ISO 100, shutter speed on 1 is (64seconds) on 2 (120seconds) the flash was on a stand at full power and activated by remote.

light painting round 2 im1 by Shefjr, on Flickr

light painting round 2 im2 by Shefjr, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and advising!:thumbup:
John

About #2: I think your flash at full power is WAY too hot, and overexposing your face. The blues and greens could stand to be brighter. Are you working on a calibrated monitor?

About #2: I think your flash at full power is WAY too hot, and overexposing your face. The blues and greens could stand to be brighter. Are you working on a calibrated monitor?

I don't have a calibrated monitor. That is in the future hopefully. I didn't actually edit the second one at all(except to crop). I guess I should have done that.
I know the flash is way too hot it was actually what I was going for. I was thinking a way overexposed face. Sort of like what they always make God look like in the movies. I actually wanted it to look more like my face in the first photo that I posted.

I know the flash is way too hot it was actually what I was going for. I was thinking a way overexposed face. Sort of like what they always make God look like in the movies. I actually wanted it to look more like my face in the first photo that I posted.
Well, if it's working for you, that's what matters. For me, it doesn't, but that's just one random opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

...looks like you're getting a handle on it,shef.I like the concept of #2.maybe a little pp can get it where you want,if its not already there. :mrgreen:

Buckster said:
Well, if it's working for you, that's what matters. For me, it doesn't, but that's just one random opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Provided I can get some clear skies I plan on playing around outside with my settings. The big thing is that I want to be remain faceless for a couple and I'll probably try and expose my face properly as well.
Getting better at light painting is my goal for the month. I hope to post something really cool looking by the end of the month. I guess we shall see.
On a side note, I think I need to drag my wife out to help me. It's a lot to keep straight when being timed. For instance I put the 9volt battery in the pocket with the steel wool. Thankfully nothing happened.

ratssass said:
...looks like you're getting a handle on it,shef.I like the concept of #2.maybe a little pp can get it where you want,if its not already there. :mrgreen:

Thanks I'm getting there. I did play around a little in pp since I posted them. They really popped with a few minor adjustments. I can't wait to see my "vision" when all completed. I hope it's not a bust.

I don't know what it would do, and it would be tough to do with any kind of flash, but I wonder what would happen to number 2 with a little bit of smoke. Probably not your vision, just wondering out loud.

Most reactions

Back