lighting, angles, reflections (?)

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well here is the deal. I dont really take portriat shots, at this point. I thought I would try to set up a shot for lighting. mess around with it a little. Im looking for cheap or free tips on lighting.
I did this with a 55w soft white desk lamp and a mirror. Other then a lens whats a cheap way to improve? Do you need pro lighting to get the right look?
IMG_4413.jpg

Is there a way to get rid of light reflection on subjects?

IMG_4398.jpg

or lines like this..
IMG_4422.jpg

Any input is great!

The size & shape of reflections like that, will be determined by the surface and by the size, shape and position of your lights.

If you move your light a lot farther back, the reflections will get smaller. If you use a strip light, you will get more of a line shaped reflection, rather than circular blobs...and so on.

Ok a couple things I can try. Looks like the subject is the main issue. other then ghetto lights lol.
Thanks for your knowledge guys!

Is there a way to get rid of light reflection on subjects?...

No, but...

While a polarizer my reduce the reflections to a degree, it won't eliminate them completely. The trick is to make the reflections so large that they loose the "oh! there's a shiny spot" look. What you need to look into is "tent lighting" (read: Google "tent lighting").

Tent lighting can be anything from very expensive frames and fabric to nearly free stuff found around the house. I've used a variety of things. For small objects, paper cones or cylinders have worked well (small hole cut to shoot through). Fabric, like bed sheets, over a simply wire frame also work. You generally put your lights, anything from expensive pro lights to simple desk lamps, outside the tent aiming through. It produces a soft lighting with a slight directional characteristic. You sometimes need several lights.

When dealing with highly polished items you have a second problem. You can't see or photograph anything with a mirror finish. Any attempt to do so only results in an image of the room reflected off of the surface of the object. To create a good photograph you need to build an appropriate "room" to be reflected. Most often you start with some form of tent or semi-tent setup and add dark obscuring objects to create the right highlight and shadow patterns in the reflections so that the shape of the object is made apparent.

Thx to all. I know this is a burned out subject but I have learned a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back