Lighting challenge...getting married in front of a window

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. I recently took pictures at a wedding which was held in an old CCC built restaurant at a state park. The interior of the building had dark wood floors, dark wood walls, dark wood vaulted ceilings and regular incandescent lighting. Needless to say, the available light was absorbed into the surroundings.

The wedding was at 5:00 pm, and the bride decided that the ceremony should be held in front of a west window............can we say major backlighting in a dark room?

I had some warning and I finally convinced them to put some covering over the window, but the backlighting was still a major challenge.

Here is some of what I was able to leave the wedding with. I'm really not happy with them, but they are what I got. I can do some adjustments with levels in photoshop (which I'm still learning, so it really behooves me to get it right in the camera), but I don't think they are salvagable.

Let me know what you think. (Assuming this link works.)

http://atlantic.photoisland.com/photosharing/albumindex.html?&oldpict=25725556&newpict=25725556

That worked :)

I think you did an outstanding job considering the circumstances you had to work with. That is about as tough a lighting situation as I can come up with and the photos turned out very good...I'm surprised that I didn't find the window more distracting.

Pretty good. Back lighting is a tough one for sure.

When my brother got married, he thought it would be a great idea to do it in a gazebo with the sun setting behind them. Absolutely stunning but it was a terrible nightmare for the photographer (me). I have had this happen several times since then. My "fix" is to enlist a child to stand where the bride and groom are going to be right before the ceremony and hold my meter. I crouch down in the aisle where I will be shooting from and pop my flash at the meter. I use this exposure since it will be the right exposure for the people. The sunset is secondary. I also make sure that I shoot them in silouhette so they have a pic of the sunset. This has worked well for every wedding or portrait that I have had to shoot with strong back lighting. Never had anyone complain that the sunset didn't look like it did that day either. :p

Most reactions

Back