Lighting Equipment Suggestions

ryanrichmond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are the Glow series soft boxes any good from Adorama?
I've been thinking of picking up a soft box and this one seems like a great price. $39 for a 32"x48" + whatever else I'd need for it.

Is there like a "beginner's" set-up I should be considering?

It helps if you post a link, so I did it for you:

https://www.adorama.com/l/Lighting-...tors/Softboxes-and-Accessories/Glow~Softboxes

Says they are Bowens mount, which may eventually become an industry standard. For information on what else might be needed, call them. I find their telephone sales staff quite helpful. The first page says they are for strobe lights, but if you're planning to use a speedlight, be sure to mention that tot he sales person. They should be able to tell you what you need.

It really depends on which product line you are talking about. I have quite a few of these, so hopefully I can shed some light on the pros and cons of a few.
  • At that price point, you're probably looking at a standard speed ring and rods assembly. For a more permanent setup or if price is your main concern, I'm sure these will work just fine. If quick setup and breakdown, and easy transportation and storage are a concern, then these probably aren't your best option.
  • Their Parapop line are really portable and lightweight, and I have a 38" one that is my go-to modifier most of the time. It's basically a cheaper plastic version of the SMDV Speedbox, and is really nice to use as long as you don't have a halogen modeling light. I believe the Hexapop and Quadrapop are just 6- and 4- sided versions of the same thing.
  • The Glow EZ Lock line of modifiers has quickly become my new favorite, being more rugged than the Parapop, with a metal speed ring, while still being collapsible. I use their 12x56 stripbox and have been pretty happy with it so far. The only drawback with my current setup is that I use speed lights in an S-type mount so I don't really have enough power to use with the supplied deflector plate. Not a big deal though.
  • For a slightly different approach, their Quick Softbox for speed lights doesn't technically use a Bowens mount, but is very inexpensive and works fairly well for something so compact. I have 2 of these when I need something really compact to travel with, since they pack up into a case about the size of a lunchbox.
Good luck!

You rock, dude! Thanks!
Those EZ Lock units look like they’re right up my alley

I recently bought a 34” Glow EZ Lock Beauty Dish and my observations are as follows. It uses an umbrella style opener which is quick to open and collapse but the front and inner diffusion needs to be partially detached in order to set up and pack away. This makes it a bit slower that some other designs but faster than some others, interestingly my rectangular Chimeras are pretty easy with only 4 rods.

The material quality seems fine for the price point. I’d say the front diffusion is a bit thin and with the double inner diffusion in place there is a brighter outer edge ring visible. However this is fine as a “real” BD has a slightly darker centre, not to be confused with an opaque deflector plate. As for the deflector plate, it can only be used in the front rod position, not behind the frame mount. I probably won’t use it since the concept of a opaque deflector plate is not to my liking or in keeping with the original BD design, I prefer a diffusion plate.

The choice between the Deep Para and BD was made from a few images I saw and I like the lower profile for outdoor shooting where wind could be a problem.

the front and inner diffusion needs to be partially detached in order to set up and pack away
That's good to know. With the 12x56 strip box, I am able to collapse it and fit it in the bag with both layers of diffusion and the grid still attached, I just need to remove the deflector disk and skip the velcro strap.

Being able to pack it up quickly without having to remove the diffusion panels is a huge deal. The Parapop can be easily collapsed and stored with both diffusion panels still attached. The cheaper $20 Quick Softbox requires removal of the outer panel, but you're just fine leaving the inner panel.

the front and inner diffusion needs to be partially detached in order to set up and pack away
That's good to know. With the 12x56 strip box, I am able to collapse it and fit it in the bag with both layers of diffusion and the grid still attached, I just need to remove the deflector disk and skip the velcro strap.

Being able to pack it up quickly without having to remove the diffusion panels is a huge deal. The Parapop can be easily collapsed and stored with both diffusion panels still attached. The cheaper $20 Quick Softbox requires removal of the outer panel, but you're just fine leaving the inner panel.

I should clarify, the 34" BD can be collapsed and set up with the inner and outer diffusion in place but the design has only included one short zippered rear side opening. Also, the opening only gets you access "behind" the spokes of the umbrella frame, so one must thread their arm through the narrow spokes to gain access to the EZ Lock mechanism. Of note, once collapsed the EZ Lock mechanism is pressed against the inner diffusion panel, there is no way one can use the inner deflector plate in the collapsed orientation, it must be removed first.

As a upgrade, I would like to see two zippered openings opposite from each other so one can use two hands and make the openings long enough to gain entry in front of the umbrella spokes. This would be helpful if one wants to gel the flash without partial removal of the diffusion panels or change the orientation of the deflector plate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back