Lighting in the new MAXIM

Looking at the hard-edged shadow and the large area on the wall where there's a specular highlight the size of a basketball is a clue that it's not a snooted strobe, but a much larger light source. otherwise, the specular highlight, the bright,shiny area where the orange paint goes to a burned-out white color--that alone tells me the light source is big.

My guess? A 20 to 22 inch beauty dish is almost certainly the main light. That's why the shadows are so crisp and black...the dish has been pulled back far enough to make it a hard light source,and the 20 to 22 inch diameter of the dish makes a large, white,bright source,and the light coming from the large-ish,white, bright beauty dish hit the wall between them and bounced straight back to the camera, causing the specular highlight on the wall.

As with all Maxim covers, there's plenty of post work done too; both those gals weigh another 40-50 pounds IRL!:lol:

Looking at the hard-edged shadow and the large area on the wall where there's a specular highlight the size of a basketball is a clue that it's not a snooted strobe, but a much larger light source. otherwise, the specular highlight, the bright,shiny area where the orange paint goes to a burned-out white color--that alone tells me the light source is big.

My guess? A 20 to 22 inch beauty dish is almost certainly the main light. That's why the shadows are so crisp and black...the dish has been pulled back far enough to make it a hard light source,and the 20 to 22 inch diameter of the dish makes a large, white,bright source,and the light coming from the large-ish,white, bright beauty dish hit the wall between them and bounced straight back to the camera, causing the specular highlight on the wall.

As with all Maxim covers, there's plenty of post work done too; both those gals weigh another 40-50 pounds IRL!:lol:
Now that the large one is posted so we can see the detail in it, and having some idea of your level of skill and knowledge from your postings, I'd have to agree.

I find myself reverse engineering the light on just about every shot I look at (not that I always get it right - but it's good mental exercise nonetheless, I think). I suppose that's a common thing with folks that are into this sort of thing, eh?

Do most of you folks find yourself doing that a lot?

Do most of you folks find yourself doing that a lot?

Yes, all the time! Everywhere I go. I'll be in target, then realize that I'm staring at the poster of some 13 yr old girl for 2 minutes, and no one but me know that I'm deconstructing the light in my head. Hahaha. I can't walk by an ad shot without working out the light in my head, or at least trying.

Oh, hahaha. Yeah, you loser, I can't believe you read Maxim! To be truthful, does anyone actually read Maxim? I mean, I've been known to "read" it from time to time, but that's it.

Most reactions

Back