Lighting Questions...

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok after watching a pretty good video about lighting I am trying to figure out a good beginners set up. I would like to go with flashes/strobes vs. continuous lighting. As a primary flash I am thinking 430EX II and something like a cheaper like this Amazon.com: Adorama Auto Bounce Flash: Camera & Photo

My question(s)... How would I get them to fire off camera? I have a 30D, I would probably keep one on the camera, or possible both off camera. I figured the cheaper flash would be fine either shooting into a softbox, or an umbrella (if one is better than the other?)

I just am not sure what a good beginner set up would be really... I would like to be able to give a budget, but I am honestly not sure... $500 is too much haha $300 is probably pushing it as well. I am NOT a professional, I just would like to get a good feel for some portraiture of friends and classmates.

Hope someone can help me out! :thumbup:

-Collin

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
CW,
On ebay, you can purchase set of radio w/ 3 receivers for hotshoe flashes for about $50

Aw cool, thanks! your probably going to shoot me, but what would
i specifically be searching for? lol

The 430EX is a great flash, especially if you are using it on-camera because it's fully compatible & dedicated with your camera. For simple off-camera use though, it's overkill.

Strobist Starving Student SC1 Lighting Kit is a one light kit that will give you everything you need to get started.

ok so maybe I don't need the 430EX? maybe I should just start with this kit then? the flash in the kit, could be used on top of the camera as well tho correct?

Yes, the flash in the kit should be able to be used on-camera...but keep in mind that it's not a dedicated flash, meaning that it doesn't have auto flash metering or any of the other auto features that the 430EX would have. People like it in that kit because it's a bare-bones flash that is perfect for off-camera use.

how about this:

a set of triggers off of ebay or gadget infinity (ie this)

and then 2 yn-460 (search it on ebay)

granted you'll have to do everything manual and won't have TTL or whatever is the current standard, but it's just about as basic as you can get

ok I don't think I will mind doing in manually. Basically its 580EX's that can master and slave and will be "auto" if you will, or a manual set up... if I understand that correctly. How hard is it to learn to shoot with manual flashes?

I use all manual for my off camera flash stuff. I don't think it's that hard, just a lot of trial and error, but once you get going you'll know which things work and what doesn't if you know what I mean

ok sounds good to me! Thanks Nick! You think I would be better off with a kit like Mike posted or piecing it together?

It depends really. Do you think you'll be needing the lightstands/umbrellas/gels? If you can afford the kit go for it but if your strapped for cash and can't purchase everything at once get lights and triggers then build up from there.

Glad I could help

well The gels and stuff are just "extras" as well as the tape and stuff like that. I would like at least one decent flash, stand and umbrella. As well as the trigger for it. if I could "build" my own set up and get 2 of everything, all the better! haha

Most reactions

Back