Lighting Suggestions C&C please

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted to post this here specifically because I want some real C&C on the lighting. Here is the strobe info, and I'm looking for experienced tips on some possible other creative options. Thanks in advance!

Strobist Info: sb-600 w/ 43'' shoot-through umbrella camera left 3' from me, pointed up towards me, sb-600 w/ Gary Fong diffuser on second shelf camera high right, all triggered via Nikon's CLS.

4310810234_07d2dee627.jpg

Ya know, I'm a big fan of the lighting. My only issue is that the light looks very very even, and in this case a more dramatic ratio may suit the situation. Like, maybe if you turned down the camera right strobe a bit, creating a darker side to it. I really like the concept and post work though. PLEASE DON'T ANYONE BE OFFENDED BY THIS but it makes me think of an in home abortion clinic. IE creepy and dirty and sketchy.

cool work

Ya know, I'm a big fan of the lighting. My only issue is that the light looks very very even, and in this case a more dramatic ratio may suit the situation. Like, maybe if you turned down the camera right strobe a bit, creating a darker side to it. I really like the concept and post work though. PLEASE DON'T ANYONE BE OFFENDED BY THIS but it makes me think of an in home abortion clinic. IE creepy and dirty and sketchy.

cool work

Lol thank you friend! That's not offensive, kind of what I am going for (besides the abortion clinic thing).

I actually like it the way it is. I would burn a few areas in PS to draw the users eye's into you from the edges, but as far as the lighting goes I think it's pretty slick. I like the texture of the lab coat with the slight shadows giving it depth.

I assume you wanted that "mad scientist" look given the lighting and editing, and I like it.

As he said, it looks good but too even, like almost as if it was just available light (I don't mean that in a bad way). I think using the fong'd flash bare and use it for some sort of rim/ kicker would give it a bit more overall contrast and make it look more edgy

I actually like it the way it is. I would burn a few areas in PS to draw the users eye's into you from the edges, but as far as the lighting goes I think it's pretty slick. I like the texture of the lab coat with the slight shadows giving it depth.

I assume you wanted that "mad scientist" look given the lighting and editing, and I like it.

Thanks inTempus. What areas would benefit from burn, the background lab area or my body? I appreciate your help.

Yes, the mad scientist look was what I am going for.

As he said, it looks good but too even, like almost as if it was just available light (I don't mean that in a bad way). I think using the fong'd flash bare and use it for some sort of rim/ kicker would give it a bit more overall contrast and make it look more edgy

Thanks friend. I also feel it's almost as if I took it with available light, which is one thing I don't like about it. Here is a shot without flashes so you can see ambient. After looking at this, what angle or where should my bare sb600 be to create the rim light?

4311562886_7d7ec6b110.jpg

Get a silver reflective umbrella too. They'll create a harsher more directed light, while controlling surrounding spill.

Also, try bare flashes.

Also, try bare flashes.
+1 Bare flashes will give you that harsher light and slightly heavier shadows when used at angles to the subject. It would probably go nicely with this theme.

What areas would benefit from burn, the background lab area or my body? I appreciate your help.
I keep getting drawn to the spot on the door and the area above your head.

A stop or so less power with the right side flash may help add some drama. What were your settings?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back