Lighting Tools

Raddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking to set up a makeshift studio in my basement and I can't afford photography lighting. At present, I have an incandescent lightbulb that provides the main light for the room, and I also have two stadium style work lights from Home Depot. I've heard that using the GE Reveal lights can help bring out a truer light, because normal IC lightbulbs tend to make things orange. I also photograph my girlfriend a lot and she has a pale complexion. Lots of light, particularly the flash on my camera, tends to wash her out and make her look paler than normal

I guess my question is, what can I use to provide sufficient light, but not wash her out?

*Note to Admin: Sorry, I originally meant to post it in here, not beyond basics.

its not just the lighting you need to apply

you need to get the light and the camera setting working together, you havent said what settings you have tried with the camera.

can you post any pictures that you have done? maybe a pro will come along and give you some pointers ;)

your overexposing her with all that light then adding flash too, just try with the lights, really the lights you use should be flash and attached by either radio trigger or sync lead to your camera but the constants you are using should be ok if you turn off the on-cam flash and set white balance to tungsten. H

Trying to use work lights for studio type portraits is really futile. Go outside and get some natural light. Buy a reflector and get used to looking for and using good natural light. Overcast days are really great. If you must shoot indoors, get right next to a window. Window light is great soft light for portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back