Lightning Ahead

These are great photos. I wish that someday my photos could be half as wonderful as yours.

Wow! Thanks a ton!

I chase it as often as I can. But this is only the second good lightning producing storm that we've had in the last 10 months!

bitteraspects, here's the exif for both...
both were shot at ISO 100, f/7.1 #1 @30s & #2 @45s
The lightning flash in #2 happened within the first 5 seconds of exposure. The bolts in the sky came in right before I closed the shutter. I left the shutter open another 40 seconds to get the fg detail.

I always use a tripod and a cable release. It takes a few shots to get it right. My aperture depends on how close and bright the lightning is. Also how much ambient light is available...or light pollution ;) In this case, I was in the middle of nowhere. 220 miles round trip that night.

Number one is awesome, now I wan't to go try some lightning shots.

:hail: :hail: Brilliant as always.

great shots woods, lighting up the road was a brilliant idea, it really adds to the photos. did you run these through a noise filtering program? The sky is so smooth, almost fluid - looks terrific! :thumbup:

Jason I did run it through Noiseware, but it didn't take much. Just one of the default settings. I always shoot lightning at ISO 100 to help with the noise. And for some reason, when the lightning is this bright, you don't get too much noise in the shadows.

Damn fine shots. Thanks for sharing your technique as well!

waaaawwww...your shots are absolutely amazing!!!! Waaawww...I can't find my words! Awesome!!!!

A M A Z I N G !!!!...everything about them was said above....

I saw these right before I took off last night and wanted to say more than "incredible." Thought about it all night and still come up with, "incredible."

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome shots! I've tried to photograph lightening and storms a couple of times. No such luck, yet!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back