Lightning Trigger

pmgadgets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You can visit the following site if you are interested in taking lightning photos..

Lightning Trigger

The followings are sample photos taken by using the gadget..

springthunderstormbyton.jpg

51549106.jpg

How exactly does it communicate with the camera?

Does it communicate through the hot-shoe (not sure if that's even possible), or is there some unseen cord it's using?

How exactly does it communicate with the camera?

Does it communicate through the hot-shoe (not sure if that's even possible), or is there some unseen cord it's using?

In the videos on the website there is a cord that connects into the camera's interface, so I'm assuming it would plug into the same port that would connect a GPS unit (on my D5000, at least).

Looks like a neat product...I'll have to squirrel away some dollars so that I can afford it!

It is connected by a cable from shutter release port of DSLR.

A new one..

malevisions.jpg

And another one...

parrish.jpg

Golf in a lightning storm? Well, I guess that's one way to cleanse the gene pool.

I'm satisfied right now with my little remote and a snort of brandy to capture/watch lighning storms.

I used a shutter release last time, pointed the camera at the part of the sky I was hoping to get a picture, set the shutter speed to a few seconds, and pushed the remote all the way to the top so it would take continuous pictures until I stopped it. Out of 300 or so pictures I got a few keepers. : ) Im thinking this toy might be easier on my camera if I were to try it again. :D but I did use my older camera for it.

Hmm, so wouldnt you just need an optical slave hooked up to the remote jack? there should be a DIY or a cheaper way to do this than for $100.

Hmm, wonder if my vivitar cord would fit in a headphone jack. :D but id be concerned id fry the camera. anyone want to try this for me? :)

Hey, it is not $100, just $97 ;)

All the kidding aside, $97 is not too much especially once it is compared with the equivalent products..

Regards..

Last edited:
To be honest I think something like that is a waste of money., IO have been shooting lightning for years and MY shots seam to be much better than the ones shown here. You just need to learn technique. There are better thing to spend your money on than this..
Thats just me though.

To be honest I think something like that is a waste of money., IO have been shooting lightning for years and MY shots seam to be much better than the ones shown here. You just need to learn technique. There are better thing to spend your money on than this..
Thats just me though.
Where lightning triggers work particularly well is during daytime shots, where it's more difficult to get long exposures without ND filtering. Also, even in dark situations, you don't have to take 100's of long exposure shots to get one or two lightning captures.

As for cost, I'd think it should be fairly easy to modify a DIY IR trigger with an optical slave, which would only be a few bucks for parts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back