Lightplay question and C&C

Sqiud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First, let me make this very clear. This sign has been on the ground across the street for a couple weeks, and was replaced about a week before my roommate brought it inside. No one will be missing it.

That said, I have a lightplay/metering/etc question. The sun, late afternoon, was shining directly into the front door, and I bounced it off the white wall opposite that door to light up the sign. The shades were all down in the room with the sign& camera.

How does the shot look? I did the basic whole scene metering, and focused on the door (was unsure of if I should focus on the sign or the door, and stupidly didn't shoot both.) I'd say the focus is the pathway/flow that the sign reinforces, and the destination. I ought to have lit it differently with a focus on the sign and the obstruction, and shot that too, but oh well!

Navigation__lul__by_Squidpaints.jpg

another shot, this is where the sign was displayed first... it's not as clever, but I like the rhythm of the old cast iron heaty thingy stuffs. Radiators. Yeah.
It_must_be_a_sign__by_Squidpaints.jpg

What do people think? And as always, thanks for the comments, critiques, suggestions. They help so much!

Did you shoot in matrix or center weighted?
If you would have set the exposure up for the sign, you would have had the door blow out where the sun was hitting it.

The shots dont really have the angle just yet. The first is awkward as you have set up some eye traps. The first has you looking past a door, to another door with a hot spot, and thats it. Then to the left you have the underexposed sign that is sitting there with no purpose, like it was just laid there with no where else to put it.

The same with the second with the radiator cutting off a bit of it.

Yea, I didn't want the door to be overexposed. I guess I should just simplify the concept or kill it altogether. I see what you are saying about the eye traps.

I wasn't sure if the radiator would be a problem there. Now I see why it sucks... big heavy object in front of the subject, haha.

The angles... would you say they mostly need to be more dramatic/expressive?

Thanks a lot!

edit: I shot it mixed.

Most reactions

Back