Lightroom, CS4, Photomatix workflow

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Jon_Are, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

May 12, 2007
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Currently I use Photoshop Elements 7 and Photomatix to create HDRs and Exposure Blended images.

I expect that sooner or later I'm going to upgrade to CS4 and Lightroom 2.

I am a little confused, though, on how the three programs integrate and what the workflow would look like (I've searched the forum and I've not found a workflow discussion that included all three).

Here's my guess, tell me how far off I am:

1. Import RAW image from the camera into Lightroom.
    2. Do any batch processing that is possible.
    3. Send (3) images to Photomatix, convert to a single HDR image. Save as JPEG or TIFF.
    4. Send this image into CS3 for final editing.

Yes? No?

2. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

May 23, 2009
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That sounds pretty good, but saving as a JPEG will remove a whole ton of information from an HDR image. You really should save that kind of conversion for last with an HDR image; keep it as a 16 bit TIFF at least. Adobe's HDR (called Radiance) format is great for HDR images, because it allows for 32 bits/channel, preserving the whole dynamic range of the image. Only problem is those files are gigantic, in no uncertain terms.

There should be a new specification of TIFF around the bend that allows 32 bits/channel, I just can't remember what it's called at the moment. >.<