Lightroom Question: Change Auto Settings?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Whenever I use Lightroom it automatically adjusts my photos, can this be changed to not do that? It seems it changes brightness, contrast, black levels, etc.

There's been so many times it'll open my photo and it will look fine, then it says 'adjusting' and then I don't like it anymore and have to make changes.

Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? I've noticed this happens to me when I shoot in RAW, but not JPEG.

When you go to your auto import settings, do you have anything set?

auto.png

auto2.png

I shoot RAW and I don't think I have anything checked in there - but I'll look again.

Thanks for the reply!

I think the problem may be that when you first see the image, you are seeing the JPEG preview (embedded in the RAW file) with the in-camera settings. When LR has a chance to 'generate the preview', it may be stripping away the in-camera settings and just giving you the naked RAW file, ready for editing.

Ahhh.... maybe that's it, but the odd thing is it does show like 50% brightness, 25% contrast and +5 for black for example - shouldn't those all be 0?

I think those are the LR defaults.

Also, you can apply a preset right when you import the images. So if you want settings to start a certain values, just save that as a preset and apply it upon import.

Ahhh.... maybe that's it, but the odd thing is it does show like 50% brightness, 25% contrast and +5 for black for example - shouldn't those all be 0?

This is the same thing that happens to me with RAW as well and I know I don't have any presets set. Maybe give the Adobe forums a search. Please post your results if you find anything, I was curious about this too.

I was having the same problem, what I think fixed it (I'm a LR noob) was that I reset all my settings (back to zero), went up to the "Develop" tab & clicked "Set default settings".
I'll add a screenshot in a sec...

3824811977_68fae447a9_o.jpg

Hope it fixes your problem.

Mike

(ps, Ignore the crap pic! And reset your settings first, mine are not)

Under DEVELOP located on top bar right of your Lightroom set all the necessary settings that you want to be like set it all to ‘0’ then follow the instruction in the image & your done.
avpqie.jpg

Now every time you import your RAW file use that Presets that you created.

Goodluck

I've actually noticed that there's a Lightroom preset for Zeroed...

Thanks for all the input, I still wish I knew what was going on in Lightroom when it does this (and why).

Ohhh!... OK here...
Import your RAW file BUT don't click the import button because you need to set the information setting to apply under Develop Setting then follow the red color as indicated on the image.
I’m sure this will be 200% back to zero.

Enjoy :sexywink:

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Yeah, I tried that and it still does it's rendering.

I wonder if it really is just the visual conversion from the JPG preview to the RAW file.

Thanks for the help though, even though it doesn't explain what LR is doing it did give me some nice info on importing in other ways.

EDIT
Looks like that is it:
http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php?topic=7037.0

What version are you using? Is it version 2.4? Because mine is v2.4
Besides I don't set auto to import all my RAW files from the memory stick I do that one by one.

Yeah, the latest one - 2.4 I think it is.

I deselected the adjust by serial number option, I'll see if that helps at all.

Try to import 1 RAW file using your Lightroom - press Ctrl+Shift+I then choose the 1 RAW file then follow the image above & check what will happen when you choose the Develop.
Again disable the Auto Imported Photos when you download you RAW from the memory stick.

Also go to Edit/Preferences/Preset and HIT the "Reset all default Develop Setting" then click "OK"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back