Like i said before Raising ISO Above the lowest Setting is Degrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if you take the picture at ISO 100 and then bump it up 5 to 10 stops in lightroom? is that better?

If you shoot at 1/60 ss and ISO 100 at very low lighting especially indoor. You will get underexposed image, and you will get a very bad clipping in the dark area. Bumping up the brightness in Lightroom will be losing details in the shadow areas.

what if you take the picture at ISO 100 and then bump it up 5 to 10 stops in lightroom? is that better?

If you shoot at 1/60 ss and ISO 100 at very low lighting especially indoor. You will get underexposed image, and you will get a very bad clipping in the dark area. Bumping up the brightness in Lightroom will be losing details in the shadow areas.

I was not serious with my question .... xD

Like i said before, and by the way i know alot of photographers on here disagreed with me and said it's not true but i don't care let them think what they want..

First off let me correct an incorrect statement, Some people will Say that ISO is part of the Exposure Triangle, That is simply not true, it's Applied Gain, When you raise the ISO Above your lowest ISO possible, this is what your doing i'll explain it in a term that might shed some light on this..

If you poor your self a drink, of Rum, and then add water to dilute the alcohol this is the same thing your doing with your image when you increase your ISO, your diluting your image and it's braking it down, that grain you see in high ISO, is not Grain, it's amplification distortion, YES that's what i said all that is doing when you turn up your ISO is your amplifying the signal to your sensor..
In doing that, the higher you go the more your degrade your image.

It's like you have a Stereo system that puts on 150 watts per channel and then crank the sound up to the point where the music breaks down and you hear distortion, that is just about the same thing when your cranking your ISO, That noise and dots and color bleeds is distortion and it simply looks like crap..

Back in the film day when you bought Film that was high iso like 1600 or higher that grain your seeing is a pattern of grain that is manufactured in the film that way, it's chemicals, and the film is created that way... The grain in Digital images from high ISO is garbage and noise, NOT GRAIN!!!!!

One thing people who don't understand about resolution is specifically Gain of the sensor from your lens, is that everything is electrical..

it's digital photography, the thing with Film photography, it's chemistry, chemicals not digital, completely different..

But in Digital photography everything is electrical, your sensor in your digital camera is nothing but a solar cell with filters and such, everything is max electrical Gain..

Even if you got the best camera and the best lenses and your shooting in low light with high ISO , your images are going to still look like crap..
You can have the best radio and the best antenna in the world but if your signal is crap, then your still going to end up with crap sound.

Alot of people still don't understand digital photography and a sensor and lens, everything is about max gain possible, and is why you should be using the lowest ISO possible..
Rising ISO is nothing but adding water to your liquor in your drink..

ISO is NOT connected to Exposure, it just lets you manipulate exposure, But ISO is not directly Relational to the image that is captured.....

I always say it and i'll say it again if your jacking up your ISO because your in low light and think this is a good way of giving you more light for your exposure then you don't know what your doing, Because your degrading your image and if your a hired photographer for a shoot, then your giving your customer a lower quality product.. Simple as that..

What is the idea behind the post or, in other words: What is the underlying definition of the term IMAGE QUALITY?

Setting Time & Aperture means to respond to the necessity of the scene in question.

If I shoot a fast sports scene IMAGE QUALITY is a direct function of exposure time, be it 350th or 850th or 1250th of a second depending on your personal style and the kind of sport you chose.

You can of course shoot everything at f/1.4 or f/1.2 if your lens allows for it, but IMAGE QUALITY of a group shot is severely degraded if most of the people in the frame are blurred, so here IQ is a function of aperture (and time, people move in the scene if only so slightly).

To be able to set to these major factors for image quality right you have to adjust ISO or FLASH POWER OUTPUT (the "triangle" actually has 4 points to be connected).

Motion Blur and Depth of Field are to be managed to achieve the image you want. Base ISO is a possiblity if there is enough light of if the subject is static.

Not if you have an ISO invariant sensor you might underexpose by 5 stops if you shoot at base ISO (Nikon D750 is a great example for that). Then you can lift the shadows and pay the same penalty you would pay bumping up the ISO. BUT: You still have highlights 5 stops brighter without clipping!

It doesn't matter if you've said it before or not, it is NOT true for all cameras, or indeed for most cameras under some conditions.

ISO usually amplifies the analog output from the sensor before A/D conversion. If your brightest highlight is only 1/10 of the way to filling the pixels range, amplifying the signal 8 fold will still not max out the digital output of the D/A but will give more information at each of the stages where signal is seen as the signal is now spread over more of the digital range.
Professor Marc Levoy's excellent Stanford course explains this much better then I do. IIRC all the lectures are all on YouTube as well as here.
I think the relevant one on ISO is here if you don't want to watch all 18 lectures.

Last edited:
Still not learning anything about this thread even in this video.

You're watching the wrong video. Thy this one:

I'm not sure which one i laughed at harder!!!

I did not like the one trying to breast feed us photography ...
But this proves 100 ISO doesn't matter!! all you have to do to become a good photographer is not take pictures of fat people at the beach and buy a really really expensive lens plus bokeh lights LMAO

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Bokeh lights. Did not know this before. That point goes to the wet nurse

Wow this is the thread that just keeps on giving. LoL

what happened to the OP?

Let's take about some of the real issues facing photographers these days then.

Like bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back