Linux Users

Running LINUX Ubuntu distribution.

I also carry a fully bootable version on a flash drive so when I'm at one of the colleges were I work I can boot up a useable computer.

My son is running Debian, but my wife likes Ubuntu (totally non-tech and Ubuntu's interface is the easiest. Interesting note here: Given the choice of Win7, the MAC OS and Ubuntu, my non-tech wife picks Ubuntu on her own as the most usable. Which makes me and my son very happy as that option means we have the least amount of support work to do!)

I'd be happy to dump both the Win and MAC OSs as bloated boat anchors except for the software problem. WINE isn't the answer at this point. I have to run software for work that forces me to use both Windows and the MAC OS -- no getting around it right now.

Joe

Sounds like a super-elegant solution you three have hit upon. You might be able to get another family or two interested in it!

Running LINUX Ubuntu distribution.

I also carry a fully bootable version on a flash drive so when I'm at one of the colleges were I work I can boot up a useable computer.

My son is running Debian, but my wife likes Ubuntu (totally non-tech and Ubuntu's interface is the easiest. Interesting note here: Given the choice of Win7, the MAC OS and Ubuntu, my non-tech wife picks Ubuntu on her own as the most usable. Which makes me and my son very happy as that option means we have the least amount of support work to do!)

I'd be happy to dump both the Win and MAC OSs as bloated boat anchors except for the software problem. WINE isn't the answer at this point. I have to run software for work that forces me to use both Windows and the MAC OS -- no getting around it right now.

Joe

Sounds like a super-elegant solution you three have hit upon. You might be able to get another family or two interested in it!
Drunk, bored, or both?

VirtualBox has been around for 5 years now.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I don't really have a preference any Linux distro.... I use predominantly Redhat/Centos and SuSE for work. Out of curiosity, I created a VM with Ubuntu.. I kinda like it. Might actually use it at home. The thing is... I use most linux boxes headless running applications on exported display. So much of the tweaks and usability improvements are hidden away from me.

I have a computer that runs it, and is setup as mostly just a server. Running apache, wu-ftpd, ssh (telnet) and a web baised java remote desktop running on the apache web server.

Its mostly just a toy to test things on and rarely gets used.

All of these could make the wonderful use,It's up to you!!:lol:

Digital cameras can take nice photographs are great camera gears,It's also up to you.:lol::lol:

Surely,If you take some camere accessory,such as camera remote control,flash tripods and ect,they will work excellently!

I have a Ubuntu 11.10 box but its not my desktop, it run things like Openvpn, Ventrillo, Minecraft, FTP and backups. You could call it a server but its just a VM running on my Windows Home Server 2011.

Linux is too much of a pain to run games and that is why its not on my primary computer.

i think with the release of windows 7 x64 and even 32 bit. a lot of people have really just said windows is good enough, well the people who where all mad with vista problems and blue screens. if microsoft windows kept sucking for a while longer, im sure a lot of desktop users would have switched over to linux. but now windows 7 is pretty stable, i have yet to have a problem, i really see no need.

kinda just leaves linux to be a good server and thats about it, cause of its speed, stablility, and security... as well as free and opened sourced

Last edited:
I have a Win partition for storage and image retrieval
If that's all you use that partition for, I have to wonder why bother having it at all?

The ext4 filesystem that most Linux distros are using now (if not ext4, they're probably using ext3) seems superior in every way to the NTFS filesystems that Windows uses...

I sometimes use it when traveling to DL images and then backup to a PHD.
A Linux version might allow me to do all that without changing the PHD but I just don't want to waste the time learning yet one more thing.

I am currently using OpenSuse 11.3 (64 bit) with the KDE desktop. It has everything I need for my day-to-day use and makes updating websites very easy with no additional software. The only thing missing is that there is no print driver for my Canon MP990, but I have an old Dell laptop running XP that is used as a print server.

I have been using Suse Linux for many years, starting when it was a German company. My image editing has always been with Gimp, and OpenOffice has always been my word processor & spreadsheet.

One of my two primary machines is Ubuntu... it is my storage server, ftp server, and web server. My gaming/editing box is win7 64bit.

The only thing missing is that there is no print driver for my Canon MP990
I'm pretty sure TurboPrint (link in one of my earlier posts) supports that printer.

That's the same reason I got it - it had the only drivers I could find for my printer. I've been using it for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues with it. I actually like it better than the software that came with the printer (when I was still using Windows)...

It integrates well with GIMP. I think it's about €30 - roughly $40, I think. (You have to pay in Euros, but my card was charged in Dollars at whatever the exchange rate was at that time.)

Funny - I always used GIMP and OpenOffice too, even when I was using Windows... When I finally switched over 100% to Linux, everything was pretty much all the same software I was already using.

i think with the release of windows 7 x64 and even 32 bit. a lot of people have really just said windows is good enough, well the people who where all mad with vista problems and blue screens. if microsoft windows kept sucking for a while longer, im sure a lot of desktop users would have switched over to linux. but now windows 7 is pretty stable, i have yet to have a problem, i really see no need.

kinda just leaves linux to be a good server and thats about it, cause of its speed, stablility, and security... as well as free and opened sourced

Windows still catches viruses, still is prone to security holes (so many that fixes need to be released constantly), and is still slowwwww. Windows 7 needs a giant machine to even install. (and unless you steal it, or get a copy with your computer, it's still very expensive)

[...] or get a copy with your computer, it's still very expensive)
Even then, you're still paying for it...

I wish it was easier to buy new computers without an OS (of course, that wouldn't be a problem if you built your own). The last computer I bought had Windows 7 Premium on it ... not sure how much that drove the cost up, but it wasn't free. Only used it long enough to open the DVD tray, lol.

And they don't even give you a disk anymore for when you're going to have to reinstall the OS (seems to be just a matter of time with Windows), lol.

Windows 7 Ultimate for Intel = $220.00 (Microsoft Store)
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard for Mac/Intel = $29.00
Linux for Intel, Mac/Intel, PPC, ARM, Itanium, SPARC ... = $0.00

If only there was Linux Adobe Photoshop/LR and iTunes ... I would move over completely in a second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back