Listing Prices on Your Website

I like listing prices. I want to know upfront what the cost is. Its just like car dealerships that dont list prices, I will shop elsewhere. Of course, its a matter of personal opinion. If works to not list prices for someone thats fine too.

I suppose you just have to choose what angle you want to come from. I've noticed most commercial photographers, the high end guys who shoot Pepsi and Nike ads don't list prices. They don't have to. Their clientele doesn't care how much it costs and expects to pay a certain amount. In fact, I suspect Pepsi and Nike determine the price scale.

The rest of us? Should be upfront about pricing.

As a recent bride, I can impart my experience on both sides of the fence - as a shopper and a photographer.

Price was most certainly an issue. If someone didn't list their prices, I moved on. When I found a photographer I absolutely loved, I checked her prices and realized I couldn't afford her. My instinct was to NOT haggle. I felt like it would insult her, so I posted an ad on Craigslist and found a great photographer in my price range. I was happy with the results. However, as a photographer, I knew what to look for. In my experience, brides have no idea what to expect and they want their vendors to lead the way. For those few brides who know exactly what they're looking for and money is no object, they are few and far between. Most brides have a strict budget they adhere to and just want someone good/great for a reasonable price. They want more bang for their buck.

We list our prices. I figure it weeds out the people who can't afford it and you don't have to do that yourself. So only those who want to pay the price will contact you about it.

Good arguments on both sides but I'm of the opinion that having prices on your site is turning your work into a commodity.

Not all photographers are created equal, but allowing our services to be purchased based on the best price - makes us equal in the clients eyes.

They end up going with the cheapest photographer - which usually gives them cheap low quality work. (How many of us are constantly barraged with complaints that their wedding photographer took their money and disappeared?)

Later when they are complaining to their friends, we all get painted with the same brush.

Most reactions

Back