long exposure picture help

Lacrymosa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to take longer exposure photos outdoors in the daylight with my Olympus C770, but I think I'm getting too much light in because the pictures come out white, like they are over exposed. My aperture can be set from 1.3-8.0, and my shutter speed from 15-1/1000, and exposure can be set from -3 to +3. What setting should I use so these pictures can come out? Thanks.

apperture f8 exposure -3 ... then you will achive the longest shutter speed... but do not expect long times. try using ND filters (gray ones, which stop somelight from getting in).

Won't -3 underexpose, giving him a shorter exposure? You'd probably have to go with +3, but the highlights will all be blown out.

Exposure is determined by film/sensor speed (ISO), shutter speed, and aperture. When you change one, one or both of the other has to change. If not, the exposure will come out wrong.

If you want a good exposure, you need to use the ISO at the lowest it will go, and set the aperture to the smallest size (highest f number). This will give you the slowest shutter speed that will still take a good picture. You can change the exposure by pusing or pulling it with the +/- compensation, but that's meant to correct for unusual circumstances.

mentos007 is right about the nd!!!! they work......

your probably gonna have to stack nd and polarizer together and go with the lowest iso you can, also go with the lowest aperature you can select, ie the largest number.....F number... maybye even stack 2 nd's together...

try angles, or areas that arent totally super bright, or mayybye just after the sun gets less powerful in mid afternoon.....

THORHAMMER said:
mentos007 is right about the nd!!!! they work......
Doh! I completely blew past that. I didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting her there. I agree that this is probably the only way you can get slow shutter speeds outside during the day.

Question....what is to be gained by slow shutter speeds during daylight? I'm curious to know why you're trying to do it. Does it improve the photo in any way, or create a cool effect? If so, I'd like to learn what I'm missing out on....and try it for myself!

The main reason I can think of is to blur motion. Bright days can sometimes make it hard to do panning shots like this:

99_1.sized.jpg

Or creeks and waterfalls. Even people if you are going for a specific look.

Most reactions

Back