Long shot, but can someone help me with keeping an orchid alive?

That looks like a vanda type. If I'm right (googling the name tells me I probably am) it will like as much light as you can possibly give it (probably) and air around its roots. They like to be spritzed with a spray bottle too.

Take a look at this: Growing Vanda Orchid – Learn About The Care Of Vanda Orchids

Here is a video on them:

I used to grow everything but these guys. I never had enough light for them.

That's true of phals and lady slippers but if she has a vanda or some other type it can be very different. (IE you grow phals in wood chunks and moss, you grow a vanda in basically an empty basket under a spot light, LOL.)

It's in a pot, with moss type stuff around it. No soil. There's some rocks in there too. I have to say, I know the flower shop where it came from and I'm really surprised they didn't include any instructions at all. It's a well known, long time, expensive place.

It's not uncommon to happen, really. A lot of florists just get the full grown plants or cut flowers. They really don't expect people to re-bloom them. A greenhouse or specialty plant shop might know more. And really orchids are a thing unto themselves! They are such weird and different and pretty plants!

That set up looks and sounds perfect for phal orchids.. or most of the other kinds of orchid commonly sold.

Seriously, just take some awesome pictures of it and have them printed and hang them on your wall. Then you got some eternal value out of the gift even if you do kill it.

And don't feel bad. My mom killed a cactus once.

Thanks everyone.
Light but not too much light, sufficient water but not too much, warm but not too warm. Yup, got this. (that poor orchid)

It's currently on the dining room table that belongs to my roommate. It's next to the room with the wood stove (the house is pretty chilly) and close but not too close to the west facing patio doors.
Don't listen to them Barb. I know you can do this. It's just a flower. You can take this orchid head on and triumph over it. Grow baby grow......grow baby grow.
cheerleader_3.gif
cl06-cheerleader-cheerleading-smiley-emoticon-000526-large.gif
CHEERL1269.gif
4zne55j.gif

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back