Looking at my first DSLR, bunch of stuff inside

The guy at the shop said that Nikon vs. Canon is basically a photographic civil war, noone wins.

Hello no, lol! We all win! Technology and quality advance faster than ever, prices drop, pro features appear into cheaper models. Just look at the new generation Nikons (D3 and D300) and imagine Canon's response.

It is true though, like any other brand war things aren't black and white at all when it comes to chosing one of the two. In the end, i believe the determining factors are:

1. If you need a specialized function or product that only one brand can provide. This can include image quality too. In that case, you have only one choice and things are easier.

2. If no. 1 does not apply, then it comes down to which brand or camera feels better for you/makes you feel better. It may be prettier or have better menus and feel better in your hand (still very important considerations if you are going to use it a lot), this varies greatly according to personal taste.

Obviously if neither 1 or 2 apply, get the cheaper one :).

The D40 can use far more lenses than the Canon will since Nikon hasn't changed their lens mount since 1959, lol. But yeah, you need Nikon AF-S lenses to autofocus which are less numerous and don't currently cover all ranges that their older stuff does. If you want to play around with a bunch of lenses the D40 probably isn't the best choice. In that case a used D50 would be the next best bet in the Nikon lineup.

i think canon 400D have further performance price ratio than nikon D50.

OK so my "photography" goes for a little while, I really started to like it when I went to London using my trusty old point and shoot, which is now a paperweight.

Soon after my mom got a camera for free from work as a 5 year of employment gift dealie. It was a Fujifilm Finepix S5200, it is still my camera of choice mainly beacause I dont have another one to use. The camera isnt bad it has a lot of features but it has no SLR capability, and the controls are pretty annoying to use outside of the full auto mode (which im sure any real photographer will agree is rubbish in 99.9% of cases)

I went to the local mall with my dad today and saw a camera shop so I decided to stop by and take a look at what they have as far as moving up in my hobby. I held and played with a few cameras (Canon 400D, Nikon D80, Nikon D200) and out of them I really liked the 400D for its price and features. The guy behind the counter told me that there are a wealth of lenses available for Canon cameras and that there are certain perks with the brand as well (lenses interchange from SLR to DSLR cameras, Canon hasnt changed their lens type since 1985, and that there are over 200 lenses total for the Canon SLR/DSLR family from the Canon/Aftermarket side).

My questions are as follows.

1. Is a 400D a good camera for a beginner?
2. Will I have to sell it and get a new one shortly after because of the features/lack thereof?
3. Is it a good value for the money?
4. What are other alternatives in the same price range?

Also, I found some XTi packages on eBay. In the store, the 400D with a Canon 18-55mm lens for 699.99. On eBay, I found a similar package for a total of 570 shipped, and it comes with a Tamron 28-80mm lens, a CF card, cleaning kit, and some other stuff. My questions are as follows for this set.

1. Is buying on eBay a good idea when it comes to something like this?
2. Do these seem like reasonable prices?
3. Is Tamron a good company?
4. What is a better starter lens for "all purpose" shooting, the 18-55 or 28-80?

I will also get a MACRO attachment and a set of filters for the lens I start with, and more if needed for later/larger lenses, I hear the filters are a great tool when shooting in certain conditions.

A side question. I have noticed this "f/3.5-5.6" on lenses. The guy in the store explained it to me but it slipped my mind..what does it mean?

Anything else I should know perhaps, please post up. Here are a few of my pictures with each camera, and yes, I used editing to get them where I want, I would like to get a better picture from the start rather than edit the life out of it, and I need to get a bit more creative.

Any advice/info apreciated, thanks!!!

--Alex

1. Isa 400D a good camera for a beginner?
Yes ,i think so.Because i had one.
2. Will I have to sell it and get a new one shortly after because of the features/lack thereof?
if u wanna take advanced photography,u can change it with a DSLR.
YES,OF COURSE.

CANON 450D is a New arrival in 2008,it`s an update type with 400D,u can focus on it.NIKON D80 is also good , but it is more expensive than canon 400D.so u can pick up one if u like.

OK so my "photography" goes for a little while, I really started to like it when I went to London using my trusty old point and shoot, which is now a paperweight.

Soon after my mom got a camera for free from work as a 5 year of employment gift dealie. It was a Fujifilm Finepix S5200, it is still my camera of choice mainly beacause I dont have another one to use. The camera isnt bad it has a lot of features but it has no SLR capability, and the controls are pretty annoying to use outside of the full auto mode (which im sure any real photographer will agree is rubbish in 99.9% of cases)

I went to the local mall with my dad today and saw a camera shop so I decided to stop by and take a look at what they have as far as moving up in my hobby. I held and played with a few cameras (Canon 400D, Nikon D80, Nikon D200) and out of them I really liked the 400D for its price and features. The guy behind the counter told me that there are a wealth of lenses available for Canon cameras and that there are certain perks with the brand as well (lenses interchange from SLR to DSLR cameras, Canon hasnt changed their lens type since 1985, and that there are over 200 lenses total for the Canon SLR/DSLR family from the Canon/Aftermarket side).

My questions are as follows.

1. Is a 400D a good camera for a beginner?

Also, I found some XTi packages on eBay. In the store, the 400D with a Canon 18-55mm lens for 699.99. On eBay, I found a similar package for a total of 570 shipped, and it comes with a Tamron 28-80mm lens, a CF card, cleaning kit, and some other stuff. My questions are as follows for this set.

1. Is buying on eBay a good idea when it comes to something like this?
2. Do these seem like reasonable prices?
4. What is a better starter lens for "all purpose" shooting, the 18-55 or 28-80?

I will also get a MACRO attachment and a set of filters for the lens I start with, and more if needed for later/larger lenses, I hear the filters are a great tool when shooting in certain conditions.

A side question. I have noticed this "f/3.5-5.6" on lenses. The guy in the store explained it to me but it slipped my mind..what does it mean?

Anything else I should know perhaps, please post up. Here are a few of my pictures with each camera, and yes, I used editing to get them where I want, I would like to get a better picture from the start rather than edit the life out of it, and I need to get a bit more creative.

Kodak Point-and-Shoot

2309615210085776385lykfem6.jpg

Fuji Finepix S5200

cityofbrotherlylovebyk2do8.jpg

dscf0700copyvb8.jpg

maximasomethingbr5.jpg

Any advice/info apreciated, thanks!!!

--Alex

Tamron is a japanese corp.i think u had better to use original lens.

i think 18-55 is enough to use for beginner.

I am also considering a second hand 30D...how does that stack up with the 400D

I am also considering a second hand 30D...how does that stack up with the 400D

30D was higher than 400D in canon line-up and 30D have the stronger carma body than 350D/400D. But i think a good LENS is most imprortant for the DSLR.,

Canon 30D was a old model,if u wanna buy a second hand one.i suggest u buy a second hand 40D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back