Looking for 70-200mm f/2.8 lens options that are compatible with D5500

I just bought the Sigma yesterday. I tried both the Sigma and Tamron in a local shop and couldn't see a difference in the pictures I took to justify the extra $300 for the Tamron. The Nikon was out of my price range and I didn't even try it.

This is one of the many drawbacks to the entry level Nikon bodies (D3xxx/D5xxx). Nikon stripped them of the in body focusing motor so that you can't use the slightly older AF (screw drive) series lenses on those camera's and have to buy the expensive AF-S lenses with the focus motor built in to the lens itself. As mentioned by a few people above there are options from both Tamron and Sigma which are actually quite good and considerably less expensive than the Nikon 70-200 2.8.

For this very reason I picked up the D7000 and now can use just about every Nikon lens made from the late 70's to today, as well as save a boat load of money.

I think you meant to say that you have to focus manually, but you actually can use them.

Nikon Lens Compatibility
According to Ken Rockwell

Looks about right. The chart is also on the Nikon website and the user manuals that come with the bodies and lenses. I have 4 lenses I regularly use on the D40 - only one is AF-S.

I just bought the Sigma yesterday. I tried both the Sigma and Tamron in a local shop and couldn't see a difference in the pictures I took to justify the extra $300 for the Tamron. The Nikon was out of my price range and I didn't even try it.
One thing about the sigma, I've found I get my best results if I shut the OS off and only turn it on if I'm shooting at shutter speeds low enough that it's needed

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back