Looking for Primes for my D7100.

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I’m potentially looking for primes for my old D7100. I’ve found that I really like shouldn’t around 16mm, now while my Nikkor 16-85mm is generally sharp, I’d like to have something like a prime that is sharper, I’ve been enjoying doing wide angle city scape shooting and the lens isn’t quite enough, shooting lately as well as some macro, also a recommendation for something that is a little wider than the 35mm. Thanks for any advice, I’m not picky on brand And might be up for manual focus.

So, I’m potentially looking for primes for my old D7100. I’ve found that I really like shouldn’t around 16mm, now while my Nikkor 16-85mm is generally sharp, I’d like to have something like a prime that is sharper, I’ve been enjoying doing wide angle city scape shooting and the lens isn’t quite enough, shooting lately as well as some macro, also a recommendation for something that is a little wider than the 35mm. Thanks for any advice, I’m not picky on brand And might be up for manual focus.
I would check with George's Camera and/or Camera Exposure (on Adams Avenue) for ultrawides. Make sure you have a return policy. Depth of field will be great, so automatic focus is pretty much redundant.
Macro lens focal length will depend on subject matter - shorter lenses mean shorter working distances. We cannot advise much without knowing what you're photographing. As to best brand, it's hard to find any that are not excellent.

Last edited:
The G AFS f1.8 primes(35, 50, 85)are under-rated. The 40/2.8 G Micro Nikkor is very sweet. All are very affordable.

The G AFS f1.8 primes(35, 50, 85)are under-rated. The 40/2.8 G Micro Nikkor is very sweet. All are very affordable.
I was also thinking about getting the Nikkor 24mm f1.8, as I am contemplating an FX DSLR in the future. Thoughts?

When I had a Nikon 7100 I really liked the Tokina 11-16. Not a prime but wider than what you’ve got.

I was also thinking about getting the Nikkor 24mm f1.8, as I am contemplating an FX DSLR in the future. Thoughts?

The 24 is a moderate wide on a DX camera.
But that was MY wide lens shooting 35mm film. I liked it.

I'm going to suggest two primes that are available for a good price, are exceptionally sharp and I used both of them on a D7000 and was quite happy.

1. 35mmDX f1.8. Small, light, incredibly inexpensive, good wide angle.

2. 85mm f1.8. A magnificent portrait lens, very sharp, inexpensive.

I'm going to suggest two primes that are available for a good price, are exceptionally sharp and I used both of them on a D7000 and was quite happy.

1. 35mmDX f1.8. Small, light, incredibly inexpensive, good wide angle.

2. 85mm f1.8. A magnificent portrait lens, very sharp, inexpensive.
Problem with DX cameras is the crop factor: the 35 becomes a 50, the 85 almost 135. Not a hardship with these lenses but you'd need around 28 and 50 to affordably get close to effective 35mm and 85mm on a crop sensor Nikon.

Most reactions

Back