Looking for a DSLR, don't know where to start

Welcome to the forum.

Really, any of the current DSLR cameras would be good. I suggest leaning toward Canon or Nikon, but Pentax or Sony would also be good. As you have been told already, going into a store and comparing them, in person, would be a good idea.

Some models to look for would be the Canon Rebel XTi, the Nikon D40, the Pentax K100D and the Sony A100 Alpha.

The camera is only one part of the system. The lens is just as or more important. Any of those cameras can be bought with a 'kit' lens, which is basically a normal range zoom lens that is made to affordable (cheap). I would recommend also getting something like a 50mm F1.8 lens.

As for places to buy, at the top corner of this page, you will find links to Adorama or B&H Photo...both are very good and trustworthy.

wow your just like me, im into skateboarding again after a long break from it and i wanna take pics of my friends at the park and maybe do something like 9 frames per second in transworld skateboarding magazine. I'm set on the Nikon d40 and am buying off ebay. It comes with 2 lenses and a wide angle lense (not sure if that counts as a lense alone but w/e. Comes with a tabletop stand and a tripod, lens cleaning kit, 2gb sd card and 2 cases all for about $640.00 w/ shipping.

9 frames per second
There are only a few cameras that can shoot that fast, and the D40 isn't one of them...it only shoots at 2.5 fps.

Probably more importantly, you want to be able to stop the action of skate boarding shots...which will mean fast shutter speeds. For fast shutter speeds, a lens with a large max aperture (low F number) will really help.

9 Frames a second is something you dont really see till you get into the high end cameras. Point and Shoots can get this by sacrificing image quality, which is pretty much against the SLR way of thinking. The D40 is a great camera, its a little lacking if you want to play around with things like prime lenses and HDR, but for the basics its a great unit.

I wasn't really thinking as much as 9 FPS more like around 3. I'd rather just have a camera that can handle skate shots great. My friend has a Nikon D50 that he really likes, but I can't find those anywhere.I've been looking at Nikon D80's but they're a little pricey. Even though I don't think money is an issue I just don't like asking for a lot.

Another question, on digital cameras how do you adjust shutter speed and so on? same as my 35mm camera? And what do those rubber things at the end of a lense do? they stick out and are cut in a pattern

And do Digital cameras have light meters inside them too? mine has a little red light thing that goes up and down with shutter speed numbers next to the light

Volcom, where in MN you from?

There are only a few cameras that can shoot that fast, and the D40 isn't one of them...it only shoots at 2.5 fps.

Probably more importantly, you want to be able to stop the action of skate boarding shots...which will mean fast shutter speeds. For fast shutter speeds, a lens with a large max aperture (low F number) will really help.

nah, 9 Frames Per Second is what the series is called. I was acctually referring to the cameras capability of how many fps it can shoot.

on digital cameras how do you adjust shutter speed and so on
On and SLR camera, it's very easy. Both the shutter speed and aperture are displayed in the viewfinder, so that you know what they are for every shot.

And what do those rubber things at the end of a lense do? they stick out and are cut in a pattern
Those are called lens hoods. The block stray light from getting into the lens...which might cause flare or a loss of contrast. It's like when you hold your hand above you eyes in bright sunlight. They can also help protect the lens from bumping into things. Some of them are round and some of them have the cut outs, those are called 'petal hoods'.

And do Digital cameras have light meters inside them too? mine has a little red light thing that goes up and down with shutter speed numbers next to the light
Yes. Modern SLR camera (most any modern cameras actually) have built in light meters...pretty much any camera with some sort of 'auto' mode has to have a meter.
On an SLR, the 'meter' or 'scale' is visible in the viewfinder and or on the LCD screen at all times. In auto modes, the 'needle' is in the middle...but you can use EC (exposure compensation) or manual mode to move the needle away from the middle and get an exposure that different from the meter reading. This is actually quite important because the meter doesn't know what it's shooting...only you, the photographer knows that. The are of 'metering' is something that every photographer should learn.

Anyone have some camera suggestions?

id say either the canon 20d, XT, or XTI, or the nikon d80 are your best choices. You might be able to get a 30d for around 1000, but it would be just that, like your complete maximum.

I say have a budget in mind and go to a store that carries all the potential cameras you want and go in and pick them up and see wich one gives you a good feel. Figure out wich type feels good in your hands and has the features you want. Also as has been previously stated you can forget getting fast sequence shots with the budget you have. All you have to remember if you get into a good system (Nikon Canon) you can go back in time a little and get a good film body cheap that will do what you want it to do and will still take any lenses you buy right now for digital.

Im leaning towards nikon, canons just look wierd to me.. don't like the shape... but then again I havent held either of them

Whats the difference between nikon D40s and D40xs? and where are all the D50's? I cant find them anywhere

and how much would a lense run that would allow me to "freeze" skateboarding?

I'm starting out myself. My impression is that the d50 was the predecessor to the d40, and is no longer available. Don't quote me on that though. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back