Looking for a prime lens.

zufram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

i'm looking for a good prime lens for my entry level Nikon DSLR. I'm still newbie here so it must be an all-rounder prime lens.

Been searching in other forum, and i'm interested in that 50mm lens. But still confused about 1.4 vs 1.8 things, whats the difference between 1.4 and 1.8? Which is better? And should it be MF or AF?

Regards.

f/1.4 and f/1.8 is the maximum aperture size while f/1.4 lens has a wider maximum aperture.

Are you talking about the Nikon 50mm AF f/1.8D and the 50mm AF-S f/1.4G? or the Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Yep don't worry on the f1.4 as you are really not ready for it.
And know if you need it being it's 3x the price of the f1.8.
and only gives a 2/3rds of a stop advantage. And is for the
dedicated prime users and pro's out there.

Which Nikon camera do you have?
As the 50mm f1.8 AF-D will not Autofocus on a D40,D60,D3000,D5000
as they don't have in camera motor for AF the lens.

For less than $200 the 35mm f1.8G will AF on those camera's as being an AF-S lens.
and is more preferred for indoors and walkabouts as has a wider Field of View.
Where I found the 50mm good entry for portraits but a tendency to be too tight for smaller indoor works.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The choices for someone like yourself would either be the 50mm af or 35m af-s.

I'd suggest the 50mm, as it's half the price and gives you an even more narrow DOF, but it's likely that the 50mm won't auto-focus on your camera.

I have the d5000 and went with the 35 1.8 for the autofocus reason already mentioned. The 50 would be way to long for most of what I use the 35 for anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back