Looking for a vintage rangefinder

Danny_511

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone help me out? I own about 6 cameras, most are vintage SLRs. Im 16 but I like film way more. Anyways, im looking into getting a nice vintage rangefinder. So far, the Canon Canonet QL-17 Giii is the one I have my heart set on but im having trouble finding them for reasonable prices . Can anyone recommend a good looking (preferably chrome) and good quality rangefinder??

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

35mm film format ?
What's a reasonable price ?

Yes 35mm and idk around 50 bucks or so. Lol im jobless and got most of my cameras from estate sales

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

If you like small cameras the Olympus XA (original model) is one of the smallest rangefinders and it has an excellent lens. They usually sell in the price range you mentioned.

220px-Olympus_XA_camera_and_film.jpg

More info here:
Olympus XA - Camerapedia

XA's are very nice little cameras, one of the smallest full frame compacts there is, other than a Rollei 35 which is not a rangefinder but a zone focus camera. Ive had both an XA and a Rollei for years. XA's tend to have a common problem with a little roller switch under the sliding cover and the camera will not turn on but it's an easy fix. This camera will not operate without a battery. Also, there is no external flash connection other than a propriety little flash that attaches to the side of the camera.

Save up and get what you want, you aren't going to be happy until you do. (been there, done that, got the tee shirt and wore it out!)

Look, you are going to buy the Canon anyway so why waste money on something that isn't going to satisfy you?

If you have to have something now, take a look at the Canon QL 19, they are MUCH cheaper. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference in image quality and these are they are practically the same camera (yes the lenses are different but in the real world of holding the camera in your hands and taking pictures, not so much).

I've had many Canonet QL17 GIII's, and have a QL17l now. They are good cameras, but things to watch for: etched glass on the front element, jammed shutter mechanism. Usually, the latter can be flood-cleaned UNLESS someone tried to force the camera to advance and fire. The lens on the Minolta H-Matic and Konica S2 is better than most of the Canonets. More quality variation in the Canonet Q17 GIII than the others. The full-size Canonet Ql17 (Not the Compact body of the Ql17l and GIII) tend to have problems in the aperture mechanism. Remember, these are 40 and 50 year old cameras.

I third the XA if you can't find a good QL17. It's one of my most used cameras thanks to the small size (smaller than my phone, although it's 3 times as thick.. heh) and being able to throw it in a pocket. It fits in my pants pocket.

Another option, and one that fits your 'good looking/chrome' desire is the Yashica Electro 35. It's aperture priority only though.. as is the XA. I have all three and enjoy them all, although, if I had to choose just one, it'd be the XA, with the Canonet being second.

Here's mine.. I always have it with me, so I just took this with my phone..heh..

$xa.jpg

Last edited:
Canon made quite a few Canonet models. The later, smaller ones they called "New Model" Canonets and include the GIII QL19 and QL17. But right before the GIII rangefinders they made the smaller New Model Canonets without the "GIII" badge. They just say "QL" on the front.

Here is my non-GIII QL17:
ql17.jpg

They were available in either chrome or black.

The New Model Canonet "QL" cameras are identical to the "GIII" cameras except they don't have the "GIII" badge and they don't have a tiny light beside the battery check button on the back which the GIII models have.

ql172.jpg

They otherwise have the same dimensions, features and 40mm f/1.7 lens of the GIII. These often sell for less (well, not the black ones) simply because they lack the "GIII" badge. These were made in Japan while the GIII models were mostly made in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Save up and get what you want, you aren't going to be happy until you do. (been there, done that, got the tee shirt and wore it out!)

Look, you are going to buy the Canon anyway so why waste money on something that isn't going to satisfy you?

If you have to have something now, take a look at the Canon QL 19, they are MUCH cheaper. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference in image quality and these are they are practically the same camera (yes the lenses are different but in the real world of holding the camera in your hands and taking pictures, not so much).

I agree. Thank you

I've had many Canonet QL17 GIII's, and have a QL17l now. They are good cameras, but things to watch for: etched glass on the front element, jammed shutter mechanism. Usually, the latter can be flood-cleaned UNLESS someone tried to force the camera to advance and fire. The lens on the Minolta H-Matic and Konica S2 is better than most of the Canonets. More quality variation in the Canonet Q17 GIII than the others. The full-size Canonet Ql17 (Not the Compact body of the Ql17l and GIII) tend to have problems in the aperture mechanism. Remember, these are 40 and 50 year old cameras.

do you have any ql17s left? Lol id happily buy one

I third the XA if you can't find a good QL17. It's one of my most used cameras thanks to the small size (smaller than my phone, although it's 3 times as thick.. heh) and being able to throw it in a pocket. It fits in my pants pocket.

Another option, and one that fits your 'good looking/chrome' desire is the Yashica Electro 35. It's aperture priority only though.. as is the XA. I have all three and enjoy them all, although, if I had to choose just one, it'd be the XA, with the Canonet being second.

Here's mine.. I always have it with me, so I just took this with my phone..heh..

View attachment 33693

nice. Thanks for the help. Ill look into the Electro. On a different note though, what can you guys tell me about the "Russian Leicas"?

Canon made quite a few Canonet models. The later, smaller ones they called "New Model" Canonets and include the GIII QL19 and QL17. But right before the GIII rangefinders they made the smaller New Model Canonets without the "GIII" badge. They just say "QL" on the front.

Here is my non-GIII QL17:
ql17.jpg

They were available in either chrome or black.

The New Model Canonet "QL" cameras are identical to the "GIII" cameras except they don't have the "GIII" badge and they don't have a tiny light beside the battery check button on the back which the GIII models have.

ql172.jpg

They otherwise have the same dimensions, features and 40mm f/1.7 lens of the GIII. These often sell for less (well, not the black ones) simply because they lack the "GIII" badge. These were made in Japan while the GIII models were mostly made in Taiwan.

Wow. That thing is gorgeous, even in black. Any ideas where I might be able to find a non-gIII? And didnt they have the leica screwmount lenses available for the ql17? Or am I wrong?

^ eBay or KEH are the best sources I know of (other than yard sales and such)

None of the Canonet cameras accept interchangeable lenses of any kind.

Canon did make other rangefinder cameras that did accept Leica threaded lenses though.

Canon did make other rangefinder cameras that did accept Leica threaded lenses though.

..but good luck finding one for under $50.. hah.

Personally, judging from your posts (OP) i'd just try to find a Canonet. The only problem I have with mine are the faded focus patches..(I have two and they're both pretty faded)

Most reactions

Back