Looking for a waterproof P&S, suggestions?

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking a trip soon to the Caribbean and will likely be doing some diving. I don't want to spend the money on an underwater housing for my D800 due to both size/weight and cost. Also because the focus of the dives won't be photography.

The Nikon 1AW is cost prohibitive, but I was considering the Nikon AW120. I wish the AW120 shot RAW, though..

I'm also open to other brands, I'm just most familiar with Nikon. Any other recommendations?

My nephew had an Olympus Tough on our trip to Hawaii and he got some really nice underwater shots while we were there. The dive we did was a relatively shallow shore dive, maybe 15-20 ft...I got my daughter a Kodak playsport and she used it for underwater video and a few stills while snorkeling and they were pretty decent as well.

Back when I was shopping for my Panasonic DMC-TS3, every manufacturer had at least one camera to offer, but all of them had pretty much poor IQ. I remember back then, I picked the one offering the best IQ. I hope it has improved on that end since then because coming from a D800 user, you might be quite deceived. Also, I might have picked the wrong one back then, but if I remember correctly, none of them had any manual control so you had to deal with tons of stupid Auto programs to hopefully do what you wanted. Lastly, read all you can find on how to avoid moisture problem inside the camera. Mine stopped working shorly after the warranty period was over. Whenever it was sunny and a bit hot outside, the camera would fog badly inside the lens and ruin all my pictures.

You can get a Nikon J1 w/ 10-30mm cheap (~$129 refurbished.. ~$80 used).. then get the Nikon WP-N1 case for ~$100. That will give you a 40 meter camera @ $200. The AW1 will only go 15m underwater for triple the price :)

Nikon WP-N1 Waterproof Housing for Nikon 1 J1 / J2 Digital 3689

Nikon WP-N1 = $96 (fits J1, J2)
Nikon WP-N2 = $99 (fits j3, s1)
Nikon WP-N3 = $522 (fits j4, s2)

You got to love Nikon's 1 series discounts (even on accessories :D )

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Try Filmtools: Hollywood's source for Motion Picture and Digital Video Equipment and Supplies Filmtools - film as in filming movies, but they have still photography equipment too. I think they may have underwater gear, they have specialty gear and are pretty quick to order from.

I perused their website, and unfortunately it doesn't look like they have underwater housings. Thanks for the link, though.

My nephew had an Olympus Tough on our trip to Hawaii and he got some really nice underwater shots while we were there. The dive we did was a relatively shallow shore dive, maybe 15-20 ft...I got my daughter a Kodak playsport and she used it for underwater video and a few stills while snorkeling and they were pretty decent as well.

I think Olympus might be a good option, given the below link by pgriz.

I've been using a Canon D10 P&S for a few years now. It's been replaced by the D20, and now the D30. This category has seen a lot of evolution in the past 6 years or so. This review may be of interest to you: The Best All-Around Waterproof Camera | The Wirecutter

Thanks for the link, pgriz. I based on the info, if it comes down to it, seems like the Olympus or Panasonic were about a horse a piece.

Back when I was shopping for my Panasonic DMC-TS3, every manufacturer had at least one camera to offer, but all of them had pretty much poor IQ. I remember back then, I picked the one offering the best IQ. I hope it has improved on that end since then because coming from a D800 user, you might be quite deceived. Also, I might have picked the wrong one back then, but if I remember correctly, none of them had any manual control so you had to deal with tons of stupid Auto programs to hopefully do what you wanted. Lastly, read all you can find on how to avoid moisture problem inside the camera. Mine stopped working shorly after the warranty period was over. Whenever it was sunny and a bit hot outside, the camera would fog badly inside the lens and ruin all my pictures.

You bring up my biggest fear. IQ... I tend to poo poo most P&S cameras for just this reason. The lack of exterior controls is also something that concerns me. It sounds like that is a common complaint with many users.

You can get a Nikon J1 w/ 10-30mm cheap (~$129 refurbished.. ~$80 used).. then get the Nikon WP-N1 case for ~$100. That will give you a 40 meter camera @ $200. The AW1 will only go 15m underwater for triple the price :)

Nikon WP-N1 Waterproof Housing for Nikon 1 J1 / J2 Digital 3689

Nikon WP-N1 = $96 (fits J1, J2)
Nikon WP-N2 = $99 (fits j3, s1)
Nikon WP-N3 = $522 (fits j4, s2)

You got to love Nikon's 1 series discounts (even on accessories :D )

This is actually a really good idea, thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it a bit more.

This is actually a really good idea, thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it a bit more.

For the record... I have a J1 (well.. its my daughters) and i find myself using it all the time when i don't want to haul around a large DSLR but want something more flexible then a P&S. I actually picked up the WP-N1 over Christmas... but haven't even opened the box yet :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back